1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is power transfered in a transformer exactly?

1. Jul 30, 2012 #1
    Hi, I know that power is transfered from the primary to the secondary by the alternating magnetic flux generated by the primary. The alternating magnetic flux induces a voltage which if the secondary is closed will cause a current to flow.

What I want to know is how exactly is the power transferred? I know that when current flows through the secondary, the secondary reduces the flux in the core and this then causes the primary to pull more current because of the reduced back-emf on its self. Less flux means with the same rate of change, you have less back-emf opposing the primary's current and thus the primary increases it's current pull to compensate. I believe if I am correct that this is the how power is transfered but I am not 100% sure. Is this correct? If not then how is the power transferred.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2012 #2
    So is the reason I got no answers because this is in the wrong place? I figured it should be in classical physics because it deals with electromagnetism.

Does no one really know the answer exactly?

Or did I basically explain the answer already and I was correct, so there was no need for a reply, lol.
    I am sure even if I did explain it pretty good already, I am almost certain I am missing something that could be further explained.

4. Aug 4, 2012 #3
    So nobody knows how? Is it too complex to explain and that's why there are no answers?

5. Aug 4, 2012 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Basically your understanding is correct.

6. Aug 4, 2012 #5
    Really? Well apparently I have a better grasp of them then I thought, lol.

Thanks a lot, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't to far off from how they work, I have been doing a lot of research on transformers and not just how they work in general but like at the very fundamental level how they work.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook