Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How is the BTS connected to the BSC?

1. Feb 6, 2014 #1
    Hello,
    I have a bachelors in electrical engineering but doing an internship at a telecom place. My opinion after 3 weeks is that the telecom industry doesn't require much science background, I feel. I started at BTS sites installing GSM and 3G (CDMA) antennas, ran feeders/fiber optics into the radio frequency units (RFU) of the BTSs. I was later part of the transmission team that installed microwave link antennas. Here I found something I could relate to from my electromagnetics classes (antenna radiation pattern diagrams) even when the guys installing them had no idea what they meant. All they cared about was establishing a line of sight with another parabolic antenna. Later I moved to the BSC where I saw how links were made to the different BTSs via the LAPDm protocol.
    The part I didn't understand is how are the BTS and the BSC interfaced. I kept hearing about E1 connection. I know what the E1 link is; that it has 32 channels; that it has a data rate of 2Mbps etc. What I don't seem to understand is:
    1) Why is E1 used and not ethernet for example ?
    2) How is the E1 connected ?
    3) How many TRX can the E1 support ?

I went to the BSC cabinet rooms and was shown a rack of ports which are used to connect to the E1s.
    4) How does a specfic port at the BSC know which E1 it is connecting to when the typologies used are ring and cascade ?

I have limited knowledge on E1s. I have searched google but couldn't find anything to explain my questions. Please provide answers if you can.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 6, 2014 #2

meBigGuy

Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook