How Is the Force of Friction Calculated for a Block Against a Wall?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
thaixicedxtea
Messages
12
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


As shown in the figure, a block is pushed up against the wall. Let the mass of the block be m=2.3 kg, the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the wall be µ= 0.53, and θ= 62. Suppose F = 68 N.
The acceleration of gravity is 9.8 m/s^2.
Find the force of friction. Answer in units of N.
http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=71957582pz7.jpg
http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=71957582pz7.jpg

Homework Equations


Fk= µ ( F sin θ - mg)
F=ma




The Attempt at a Solution


Well first I used F= µ(F sin θ), but I figured it was too simple, so I drew a free body diagram and saw mg going down on the block. I'm not sure how to go from there. Does the vertical component of force equal mg?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the sum of the vertical components must be equal to the weight of the block.