How Is the Tension Calculated in the Main Cable Supporting a Piano?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
skinard360
Messages
18
Reaction score
0
A 500 kg piano is being lowered into position by a crane while two people steady it with ropes pulling to the sides. Bob's rope pulls to the left, 15 degrees below horizontal, with 500 N of tension. Ellen's rope pulls toward the right, 25 degrees below horizontal.

What is the tension in the main cable supporting the piano?

I found that the tension in Ellens rope was 533 N but I have no idea how to figure out the tension force in the main cable...can anybody help?? :confused:
 
Physics news on Phys.org
skinard360 said:
A 500 kg piano is being lowered into position by a crane while two people steady it with ropes pulling to the sides. Bob's rope pulls to the left, 15 degrees below horizontal, with 500 N of tension. Ellen's rope pulls toward the right, 25 degrees below horizontal.

What is the tension in the main cable supporting the piano?

I found that the tension in Ellens rope was 533 N but I have no idea how to figure out the tension force in the main cable...can anybody help?? :confused:
What can you say about the horizontal components of the tension in the two ropes? (Hint:Does the piano accelerate horizontally?)

AM