How is time related to black holes besides time dilation?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
sciroccokid
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
Black Holes Relation To "Time"

Hello All,

Thanks for fielding my first question here. It looks as though "Physics Forums" will be a tremendous resource for me.

This is not a homework question. Rather, I am working on a broadcast documentary.

Is the concept of "time" (in the Newtonian, Einstienian, or quantum sense) related to black holes in any way other the Time Dilation?

Thanks,
 
Physics news on Phys.org


Can anyone think of other elements of time which may be illustrated by a black hole?
 


Hmm, other then gravitational time dilation... How would a black hole relate to time? I wonder...
 


Hi sciroccokid,

I think that the main relationship to time is that the singularity is a spatial location that is in the future of all events in the event horizon. Basically spacetime is bent so far that the coordinate time axis becomes spacelike.
 


DaleSpam said:
Hi sciroccokid,

I think that the main relationship to time is that the singularity is a spatial location that is in the future of all events in the event horizon. Basically spacetime is bent so far that the coordinate time axis becomes spacelike.

Hmm, Interesting I had never thought of that.
 


DaleSpam said:
Hi sciroccokid,

I think that the main relationship to time is that the singularity is a spatial location that is in the future of all events in the event horizon. Basically spacetime is bent so far that the coordinate time axis becomes spacelike.

But if you are in a black hole, don't you watch everything outside accelerate towards the future? If this is the case, how can the inside of a black hole be in a future time?