How large are math courses at u of toronto?

• Courses
  • Thread starter ode_to_joy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Courses
In summary: So in total, they take at least four math courses in first year. In summary, there are approximately 500 students in first year math courses at U of T, with larger class sizes for MAT135 and MAT137 and smaller class sizes for MAT157. Many students drop out due to lack of confidence and difficulty understanding the new approach to math. However, with hard work and dedication, passing these courses is possible. In higher level math courses, a stronger mathematical mind is required. Overall, students can graduate with just 12 courses, but first year students typically take four math courses in total.
ode_to_joy
So I have been told that there are about two thousand freshmen in bio in one lecture room at u of t. I believe it is becasue these courses are highly in demand. How about math courses (157 or 137)? How large are the class size? Hopefull there aren't many students who take analysis and algebra courses in year 1

Physics news on Phys.org
I've heard from a friend that I know that his first year math classes were ~400-500 students for things like Calculus I, and that the class sizes exponentially decrease over the years, so that when you are taking Lebesgue Measure and Integration, there are only about 15 people in the class.

500? I was expecting 2000!

MAT135 and MAT137 will definitely have larger class sizes. However, if you're taking MAT157, you'll see about 50-100 people, and a bunch of them will drop out by the first midterm.

I will take 157 then hahahahahahahahahah :)

157 is definitely a great course. A lot of fun too, if you're interested in the material!

2000 students in one lecture hall? These lecture halls must be massive...

wisvuze said:
MAT135 and MAT137 will definitely have larger class sizes. However, if you're taking MAT157, you'll see about 50-100 people, and a bunch of them will drop out by the first midterm.

This really intimidates me... I don't know if I can survive...

ode_to_joy said:

Most of the people drop out because they aren't confident, don't have good study habits, and aren't able to understand the new approach they're taking to math. I think MAT157 is an Analysis I course which is your first introduction to proofs with Spivak. If you want to get used to proofs because that makes you feel better I know micromass usually recommends people to get Velleman's How to Prove It and Spivak's Calculus.

Here's the course homepage: http://www.math.toronto.edu/murty/teaching.htm

Kevin_Axion said:
Most of the people drop out because they aren't confident, don't have good study habits, and aren't able to understand the new approach they're taking to math. I think MAT157 is an Analysis I course which is your first introduction to proofs with Spivak. If you want to get used to proofs if that makes you feel better I know micromass usually recommends people to get Velleman's How to Prove It and Spivak's Calculus.

so if I work really hard than I wouldn't fail. thanks, that makes me feel a lot better

ode_to_joy said:
so if I work really hard than I wouldn't fail. thanks, that makes me feel a lot better

I think this is the case in most Analysis courses. I think a fair amount of people can pass Analysis if they work very hard without the having the mathematical mind. It's when you get into more abstract areas such as algebraic topology, algebraic curves, mathematical logic, etc... that you require not only hard work but a fair bit of a mathematical mind (notice my lack of the word intelligence since I don't think being good at math necessarily constitutes a greater intelligence - in most cases though, such a statement is correct).

ode_to_joy said:

you shouldn't be too intimidated. By the first mid term, the class usually starts going into "delta-epsilon" proofs, and people get scared of those and drop out. They aren't so bad, and once you understand those proofs, you're set!

ode_to_joy said:
http://www.artsandscience.utoronto.ca/ofr/calendar/crs_mat.htm#MAT409H1

It seems like, at U of T, only 12 courses are needed to graduate?
And first year students take only three (MAT157Y1, MAT240H1, MAT247H1) courses?

I'm not sure how you counted 12, but notice that each course that has a "Y" in the code is actually a two-semester course. First year students have at least two math courses each semester.

1. How many students are typically in a math course at U of Toronto?

The exact number of students in a math course at U of Toronto can vary depending on the specific course and semester. However, on average, a math course at U of Toronto can have anywhere from 100 to 300 students.

2. Are math courses at U of Toronto taught in large lecture halls or smaller classrooms?

Most math courses at U of Toronto are taught in large lecture halls, especially for introductory courses. However, some upper-level courses may be taught in smaller classrooms to facilitate more interactive discussions and activities.

3. Do math courses at U of Toronto have smaller discussion or tutorial sections?

Yes, most math courses at U of Toronto have smaller discussion or tutorial sections led by a teaching assistant. These sections provide additional support and opportunities for students to ask questions and review material.

4. Are there any options for smaller math courses at U of Toronto?

Yes, U of Toronto offers a variety of smaller math courses for students who prefer a more intimate learning environment. These courses are often upper-level courses with specialized topics, and they typically have a smaller enrollment cap of 30 to 50 students.

5. How can I find out the class size for a specific math course at U of Toronto?

You can find the class size for a specific math course at U of Toronto by checking the course description on the university's website or by contacting the math department directly. You can also attend a course's first lecture to get a sense of the class size and ask the instructor any questions you may have.