How Long Can a 12V Battery Power a 220W Appliance Using a 300W Inverter?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Muh1982
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    12v Inverter
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Muh1982
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Hello, I have a question, I've googled to find the answer but I didn't find any.

I have 12v 100amp battery, 12v-220v 300watt inverter and 220w 220v appliance.

I want to run the 220w appliance on the 12v battery by using the inverter.

My Question is: How long will it last until the battery is fully discharged?

Please write the equation so it will help me in the future, Thank you.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
That would be a 100 amp-hour battery.

It would be useful to know the eficiency of the inverter, but make a guess and call it 70 %

Power into the inverter from the battery = (100 % / 70 %) * 220 watts or 314 watts.

Current into the inverter from the battery = 314 watts / 12 volts = 26 amps.

The battery is 100 amp - hours so the time it would run is 100 amp-hours / 26 amps or 3.8 hours.

However, I have assumed that the load is not inductive or capacitive which could make the result worse.
What are you actually trying to do?