How long does it take a football to reach max height?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
DeathEater
Messages
46
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


how long does it take a football, with an initial velocity of 30 m/s at 30 degrees up from the horizontal, to reach the top of its flight?

Homework Equations


Δy= ½ (Vf + Vo) t

The Attempt at a Solution


I know that Vf= 0 m/s here because when it reaches the highest point, it stops for a split second. I also know that the horizontal component is 30sin(30), which equals 15. I then plugged it into the equation above to get

15= ½ (0+30)t → 15= 15t → t= 1 second.
Is this process correct?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
DeathEater said:
I know that Vf= 0 m/s here because when it reaches the highest point, it stops for a split second

Yes, in the vertical direction the ball's velocity will be zero at some instant.

DeathEater said:
I also know that the horizontal component is 30sin(30), which equals 15

You mean 'vertical,' right?

DeathEater said:
Δy= ½ (Vf + Vo) t
DeathEater said:
15= ½ (0+30)t → 15= 15t → t= 1 second.

I see two unknowns in this equation. You have plugged in a speed for a displacement. If you want to use that particular equation to find time you'll first need to find the vertical displacement. There is, however, another way to do it. What do you think?
 
brainpushups said:
Yes, in the vertical direction the ball's velocity will be zero at some instant.
You mean 'vertical,' right?

I see two unknowns in this equation. You have plugged in a speed for a displacement. If you want to use that particular equation to find time you'll first need to find the vertical displacement. There is, however, another way to do it. What do you think?

okay I see my mistakes, and yes I did mean vertical, thank you. Could I do change in vertical velocity (which is 0-15m/s) = acceleration in the y direction times time to figure it out? so -15 = -9.8 (t) -----> so time = 1.53 seconds?