1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does it take a football to reach max height?

1. Oct 7, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    how long does it take a football, with an initial velocity of 30 m/s at 30 degrees up from the horizontal, to reach the top of its flight?

2. Relevant equations
    Δy= ½ (Vf + Vo) t

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that Vf= 0 m/s here because when it reaches the highest point, it stops for a split second. I also know that the horizontal component is 30sin(30), which equals 15. I then plugged it into the equation above to get

15= ½ (0+30)t → 15= 15t → t= 1 second.
    Is this process correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 7, 2015 #2
    Yes, in the vertical direction the ball's velocity will be zero at some instant.

You mean 'vertical,' right?

I see two unknowns in this equation. You have plugged in a speed for a displacement. If you want to use that particular equation to find time you'll first need to find the vertical displacement. There is, however, another way to do it. What do you think?

4. Oct 7, 2015 #3

okay I see my mistakes, and yes I did mean vertical, thank you. Could I do change in vertical velocity (which is 0-15m/s) = acceleration in the y direction times time to figure it out? so -15 = -9.8 (t) -----> so time = 1.53 seconds?

5. Oct 8, 2015 #4
    Looks good.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted