How Long Does It Take for a Damped Oscillator's Energy to Halve?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 7K views
iamtrojan3
Messages
55
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


A mass M is suspended from a spring and oscillates with a period of 0.880 s. Each complete oscillation results in an amplitude reduction of a factor of 0.96 due to a small velocity dependent frictional effect. Calculate the time it takes for the total energy of the oscillator to decrease to 0.50 of its initial value.


Homework Equations



N oscillations=(initial amplitude)x(factor)^N
E=Eo*e^(-t/Tau)
Tau = m/b


The Attempt at a Solution


I really have no idea on how to approach this problem. I need to find tau, which is m/b, but idk what b is. if i have tau, the E on both sides cancel and I'm left with
1/2 = e^-t/tau. t = tau ln (2)
So basically i need to find tau.

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Ignore m/b. What fraction of the initial energy is left after one oscillation?
Ans. 0.962
After two oscillations?
Ans. 0.962*0.962
After n oscillations?
...
 
i got 16.97 as n. it works because .96^17 = ~ 0.499

So if that's true, 0.88 which is the period * 16.97 which gives me 14.94 seconds.

This makes sense except the answer's still wrong?
 
OK I'm retarded. n = 7.47

My friend here said not to do .96squared and woulnd't tell me why. So i blame her.

Thanks again =D
 
Your friend is correct. I got 7.53 s (close enough). Initially, I assumed linearity where there was none.

I will get you started. Assume that the rate of change of the amplitude is proportional to the amplitude. Call the proportionality constant C. Then

[tex]\frac{dA}{dt} = - c A[/tex]

Solve this equation for A(t), and use the fact that A(0.88) = 0.96 A0

Once you have A(t) you can find E(t), etc. etc.

This is a good problem. I learned something from it. Thanks.