How Long Does It Take for m1 to Reach the Floor in an Atwood Machine?

  • Thread starter Thread starter petereater
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Atwood Time
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
petereater
Messages
2
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Consider the system shown in the image attached with m1 = 27.0 kg, m2 = 13.6 kg, R = 0.290 m, and the mass of the pulley M = 5.00 kg. Object m2 is resting on the floor, and object m1 is 4.70 m above the floor when it is released from rest. The pulley axis is frictionless. The cord is light, does not stretch, and does not slip on the pulley.

Calculate the time interval required for m1 to hit the floor.



Homework Equations


6be716e191ceca92e0712ac4b3254a8c.png

I*Angular acceleration=torque
Conservation of Mechanical Energy( K+U, final=K+U, initial)



The Attempt at a Solution


I played around with the formulas starting with the mechanical energy formula. I got this:

omega [final] = (1/R) [(2*(m2-m1)gh)/(m1+m2+(I/R^2))]^(1/2)
I=.5MR^2, M=mass of pulley

So I plugged in the values and got omega[final]= 119

Now, I got to find time, but I'm stuck. I plug in 119 in the formala:

Omega[final] = omega[initial] +angular acceleration*time, omega[initial]= 0

I have to determine the angular acceleration (equals torque/Inertia)

Inertia equals to .21075 (.5*5kg*.29m^2). To find torque, I could use Tau=rFSin(theta), but I end trying to find Force and theta. I don't really know where to go from here...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Draw a free-body diagram first.

ehild