How long does it take for wave to travel the lenght of the string

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 11K views
RaPiD
Messages
15
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Fundamental frequency of a string fixed at both ends is 256 Hz. How long does it take for a wave to travel the length of string?

Homework Equations



V = f (lambda)

Otherwise, not really sure.

The Attempt at a Solution



I didn't really know how to approach this problem because the length of the string wasn't given because I was thinking that if I had the distance I could find the velocity and then the time.
 
Physics news on Phys.org


256 hz = 256 cycles/s

that means it takes 1/256 s/cycle, or 0.00390625 s/cycle.

so it's 0.00390625s, i think
 


thanks for the reply, but I think I go it now. I think since its fundamental frequency its half of the wavelength. And I completely forgot what frequency actually is.
 


The answer is 1.953 x 10-3 seconds. Is that what you got?
 


Yeah dx I got .00195 s , your last reply from my last question helped me a little more to understand it. Thanks again.