Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does it take to learn physics?

1. Oct 3, 2010 #1
    I am a layman who knows nothing of physics and wants to have a good understanding of physics. I plan to each myself. Of course, learning is different for everybody, but generally, how long should it take to understand physics well, but not at a professional level.

50 hours?
    100 hours?
    250 hours?
    500 hours?
    1000 hours?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

About as long as it takes to learn to play the piano well, but not at a professional level.

4. Oct 3, 2010 #3
    Can you be more specific? :)

5. Oct 3, 2010 #4
    Actually, that's a really great answer and is about as specific as he can get without his knowing too many variables which you have not specified.

It depends on:

1) Your aptitude
    2) Your dedication
    3) Your prior knowledge of math and general science/electronics
    4) What "proficient" means to you
    5) How spread out your hours will be

etc.

6. Oct 3, 2010 #5
    i don't want an exact number of hours, i'd rather have a very general estimate, so i can put things into scale?

generally, would it take less than 100 hours, in the hundreds, over 1000, or in the thousands?

7. Oct 3, 2010 #6
    Probably around 140 hours. Generally a basic high school physics course is around 45 minutes. The year has 182 school days, so i just multiplied 45 times 182= 8190 minutes/60= 136.5 hours

You can learn a great deal over that time obviously

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook