How long does it take to learn physics?

• Thread starter jduster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, learning physics well, but not at a professional level, can take around 140 hours. However, the exact amount of time may vary depending on factors such as aptitude, dedication, prior knowledge, and individual goals. Generally, this is comparable to the time it takes to learn to play the piano well.
jduster
I am a layman who knows nothing of physics and wants to have a good understanding of physics. I plan to each myself. Of course, learning is different for everybody, but generally, how long should it take to understand physics well, but not at a professional level.

50 hours?
100 hours?
250 hours?
500 hours?
1000 hours?

Physics news on Phys.org
About as long as it takes to learn to play the piano well, but not at a professional level.

Can you be more specific? :)

Vanadium 50 said:
About as long as it takes to learn to play the piano well, but not at a professional level.

Actually, that's a really great answer and is about as specific as he can get without his knowing too many variables which you have not specified.

It depends on:

1) Your aptitude
2) Your dedication
3) Your prior knowledge of math and general science/electronics
4) What "proficient" means to you
5) How spread out your hours will be

etc.

i don't want an exact number of hours, i'd rather have a very general estimate, so i can put things into scale?

generally, would it take less than 100 hours, in the hundreds, over 1000, or in the thousands?

Probably around 140 hours. Generally a basic high school physics course is around 45 minutes. The year has 182 school days, so i just multiplied 45 times 182= 8190 minutes/60= 136.5 hours

You can learn a great deal over that time obviously

1. How long does it take to learn the basics of physics?

Learning the basics of physics typically takes 1-2 years of study in high school or introductory level college courses. This includes understanding fundamental concepts such as motion, forces, energy, and matter.

2. How long does it take to become proficient in advanced physics?

Becoming proficient in advanced physics can take anywhere from 4-8 years of study, depending on the level of depth and complexity. This includes completing a bachelor's degree in physics and potentially pursuing graduate studies.

3. Can I learn physics on my own, and if so, how long will it take?

It is possible to learn physics on your own, but the length of time it takes will depend on your level of dedication and prior knowledge. With consistent self-study and practice, it may take 1-2 years to learn the basics and 3-5 years to become proficient in advanced topics.

4. How long does it take to understand complex physics theories and equations?

Understanding complex physics theories and equations can take several years of studying and practicing. It also depends on the individual's mathematical and analytical skills.

5. How long does it take to apply physics concepts to real-world problems?

Applying physics concepts to real-world problems can vary in time depending on the complexity of the problem and the individual's understanding of the concepts. With a solid foundation in physics, it may take a few weeks or months to solve a problem, while more complex problems may take longer.