How long does shuttle re-entry burn last?

• Thread starter aseylys
  • Start date
In summary, the re-entry burn of the space shuttle lasts about 30 minutes, which includes a 12-minute period of ionization blackout. However, sources differ on the exact duration of the burn. As for the altitude of the burn, it is difficult to determine as it depends on the specific trajectory of the shuttle. There is no specific flexible material that can withstand the extreme heat of re-entry for that amount of time.
aseylys
So as the title states, I would like to know how long the space shuttle's re-entry burn last? I know that it get to about 1500 C and why it burns I just want to know how long it lasts.

And as a second question as an add on, is there any flexible material that can withstand that heat for that amount of time?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It lasts about 30 minutes.

Not sure about the second question.

That sounds long...are you sure about that?

Thats what I was thinking, I'm almost sure that the entire re-entry is less than 30 minutes.

From what I read Atmosphere to Touchdown is 35 minutes.

I'm just looking for the time the shuttle is in the 1500 Celcius area, not how long the entire re-entry is.

I'm rechecking what I read, that does sound a bit long. Maybe I missed something.

DavidSnider said:
I'm rechecking what I read, that does sound a bit long. Maybe I missed something.

I'm not sure where the burn starts, but when the shuttle passes over Waco Texas it is still glowing like an arch weld moving across the sky.:smile:

Ron

I was trying t figure this out, and I just read that there never actually is an ionization blackout for the space shuttle, as the hot ionized gases don't ever fully envelop it. I guess different sources give different info...

Ok that is helpful, but I do have another question:

What is the altitude from the beginning of the burn to the end, like vertical height, not distance flown by the shuttle?

1. How long does the shuttle re-entry burn typically last?

The shuttle re-entry burn typically lasts approximately 2-3 minutes.

2. What factors affect the duration of the shuttle re-entry burn?

The duration of the shuttle re-entry burn can be affected by factors such as the weight of the shuttle, the angle of re-entry, and atmospheric conditions.

3. How is the duration of the shuttle re-entry burn determined?

The duration of the shuttle re-entry burn is determined by the shuttle's trajectory and the amount of fuel remaining.

4. Can the shuttle re-entry burn be extended or shortened?

Yes, the shuttle re-entry burn can be extended or shortened if necessary. This may be done in cases where the shuttle needs to adjust its trajectory or if there is an issue with the burn.

5. How does the shuttle re-entry burn end?

The shuttle re-entry burn ends when the shuttle reaches a low enough altitude and speed for its parachutes to deploy, slowing it down for a safe landing.