1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How long does shuttle re-entry burn last?

1. Dec 28, 2009 #1
    So as the title states, I would like to know how long the space shuttle's re-entry burn last? I know that it get to about 1500 C and why it burns I just want to know how long it lasts.

And as a second question as an add on, is there any flexible material that can withstand that heat for that amount of time?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 28, 2009 #2

DavidSnider

Gold Member

It lasts about 30 minutes.

Not sure about the second question.

4. Dec 28, 2009 #3
    That sounds long...are you sure about that?

5. Dec 28, 2009 #4
    Thats what I was thinking, I'm almost sure that the entire re-entry is less than 30 minutes.

6. Dec 28, 2009 #5

DavidSnider

Gold Member

From what I read Atmosphere to Touchdown is 35 minutes.

7. Dec 28, 2009 #6
    I'm just looking for the time the shuttle is in the 1500 Celcius area, not how long the entire re-entry is.

8. Dec 28, 2009 #7

DavidSnider

Gold Member

I'm rechecking what I read, that does sound a bit long. Maybe I missed something.

9. Dec 28, 2009 #8

RonL

Gold Member

I'm not sure where the burn starts, but when the shuttle passes over Waco Texas it is still glowing like an arch weld moving across the sky.:smile:

Ron

10. Dec 28, 2009 #9

DavidSnider

Gold Member

11. Dec 28, 2009 #10
    I was trying t figure this out, and I just read that there never actually is an ionization blackout for the space shuttle, as the hot ionized gases don't ever fully envelop it. I guess different sources give different info...

12. Dec 28, 2009 #11
    Ok that is helpful, but I do have another question:

What is the altitude from the beginning of the burn to the end, like vertical height, not distance flown by the shuttle?

13. Dec 28, 2009 #12
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook