How long would it take two planets to collide?

In summary: It also wouldn't take any amateur astronomer too long to note that the Moon was no longer moving relative to the background stars, since this motion is about its angular size per... day? week? month? year?I think it would be more noticeable if it were a smaller object.I think it would be more noticeable if it were a smaller object.
rohanlol7
So, i was on the plane going for oxford interviews and i was thinking about what i could be asked. While i was thinking i came up with this one. Suppose the Earth and the moon were at a distance α apart at rest, how long would it take for them to crash into each other. I'm only really considering an ideal situation where the system is only comprised of the Earth and the moon. So i tried to solve it in general for two planets of mass M1 and M2 respectively.
If anyone could provide a method or a solution. I was initially going to type in my work but its going to take hours. if anyone wants to see it just pm me. ( mine involves conservation of energy and momentum and len gthy calculus. my solution is not complete as the function i obtained was so complex that i was too lazy to substitute everything in. thanks everyone

Physics news on Phys.org
End of collision is cessation of interaction? As in attractive force, but no longer permanent distortions?

Hmm I don't know actually. I just took them as point masses. Does it actually matter what happens at the collision when I'm trying to find the time taken for them to impact?
If I'm making no sense I probably misunderstood you

What I've always found interesting about this - if I remember correctly - is that for the first day you wouldn't even notice unless you were really paying attention.

Notice what? :D

rohanlol7 said:
Notice what? :D
The moon careening toward Earth.

russ_watters said:
The moon careening toward Earth.
Right. On the first day it would be more like "looking in that general direction" rather that "careening towards" :smile:

What would be fun would be to see a real time animation of Theia colliding with Earth to form the moon.

Ah i never thought of that. I would love to see one where the Earth slowly spirals towards the sun for some sort of reason

russ_watters said:
What I've always found interesting about this - if I remember correctly - is that for the first day you wouldn't even notice unless you were really paying attention.
I assume that you mean that if the Moon were falling straight towards the Earth, you wouldn't see a noticeable increase in its size for the first 24 hrs. This is likely true, as in the first 24 hrs, its angular size would only increase by ~3%. And assuming that it started at it's average distance, it would not even have reached its normal perigee distance yet. In the next 24 hrs, it will increase by another 9.5% for a total increase of 12.5%, which should be noticeable (but maybe not to the casual observer. the Moon in its semi-monthly trip from apogee to perigee changes size by ~17%*, so I wonder if someone not looking for it would notice a 9.5% increase in size between two successive nights, since the Moon would still be within its normal range of viewing size.)
12 hrs later, it will have swollen another 9.5% and be 22% larger than it started, and 12 hrs later than that it will have grown to 36% larger than what it started at, and somewhere by now people will begin to notice. * as an aside, if the Moon started falling at apogee, it would take a little over 2 days to fall to its normal perigee distance.

Likes russ_watters
phinds said:
Right. On the first day it would be more like "looking in that general direction" rather that "careening towards" :smile:

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_content_width_large/hash/c1/25/c125eeaea3694b51520ec74710f6f5cc.jpg?itok=CXgs-OJv

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes phinds
Lunar laser ranging would note it within seconds (assuming they do a measurement at the right time):
- they would not hit the retroreflectors any more due to the lack of lateral motion.
- if the moon does not happen to be at its highest point in the sky, the radial distance would become different as well. This can be noted with the first light pulse even after fractions of a second - but this light pulse takes ~1.5 seconds to reach the station. And that is really the absolute limit on notability speed.

mfb said:
Lunar laser ranging would note it within seconds (assuming they do a measurement at the right time):
- they would not hit the retroreflectors any more due to the lack of lateral motion.
- if the moon does not happen to be at its highest point in the sky, the radial distance would become different as well. This can be noted with the first light pulse even after fractions of a second - but this light pulse takes ~1.5 seconds to reach the station. And that is really the absolute limit on notability speed.

It also wouldn't take any amateur astronomer too long to note that the Moon was no longer moving relative to the background stars, since this motion is about its angular size per hour.

1. How do scientists predict when two planets will collide?

Scientists use mathematical equations and computer simulations to predict the future orbits of planets and determine if they will collide. They also study the gravitational forces between the planets and any other objects in their orbits.

2. How long would it take for two planets to collide?

The time it takes for two planets to collide depends on their current positions, velocities, and masses. It could range from a few days to millions of years. Scientists use complex calculations to estimate the time frame of a potential collision.

3. What are the factors that determine the speed of a planet collision?

The speed of a planet collision is determined by the masses of the planets, their distance from each other, and their velocities. The larger the masses and the closer the distance, the faster the collision will occur. The velocities of the planets also play a role, as faster velocities can result in a quicker collision.

4. Can two planets collide without causing destruction?

It is highly unlikely for two planets to collide without causing destruction. The force of the impact would be immense and could result in the destruction of both planets or at least significant changes to their surfaces and atmospheres. However, it is possible for two smaller objects, such as moons, to collide without causing major damage.

5. How often do two planets collide in our solar system?

In our solar system, planets have not collided in recent history. However, there is evidence that smaller objects, such as asteroids, have collided with planets in the past. It is estimated that major planet collisions occur once every several hundred million years in our solar system.