How Loud Are Seven Clarinets Compared to One?

In summary: So therefore, the intensity of seven clarinets would be 60 dB, or 10 times louder than one clarinet playing at 60 dB.
wadesweatt

Homework Statement

if one clarinet is playing a note at a sound level of 60 dB, what is the sound intensity of 7 clarinets playing identically at one time?

Homework Equations

is B=(10dB)log(I/Io) relevant to this?

The Attempt at a Solution

I just need to be pointed in the right direction, but its going to take some pretty obvious hints because I'm brand new to physics.

Thanks ahead of time.

Wade

Physics news on Phys.org
In place of I put 7I write another equation. Compare two equation to find the new intensity level.

so I should put this:

B=(10dB)log(I/Io)

B=(10dB)log(7I/Io)

so is it 60=(10dB)log(7I/1)??

wadesweatt said:
so I should put this:

B=(10dB)log(I/Io)

B=(10dB)log(7I/Io)

so is it 60=(10dB)log(7I/1)??
No.
60=(10dB)log(I/Io)...(1)
B=(10dB)log(7I/Io)...(2)
From equations 1 and 2 find B

I'm a little confused about how to do it? baby steps please?

OK.
You can the eq. 2 as
B = 10dBlog(I/Io) + 10dBlog7
Now solve for B
Or
From equation find I using Io value. Then find intensity level for 7I

what is the Io value? is that some standard value that I am missing?

Maybe that's why this is so difficult...it seems like there are too many variables...

rl.bhat said:
B = 10dBlog(I/Io) + 10dBlog7
Now solve for B

Would you explain how to solve for B when you don't know the value for I or Io? Also, the question asks for the intensity...so why am I solving for B? and also, isn't B 60?

Find the definition of dB.

wadesweatt said:
Would you explain how to solve for B when you don't know the value for I or Io? Also, the question asks for the intensity...so why am I solving for B? and also, isn't B 60?

Then you can do this way.

From equation find I using Io value. Then find intensity of seven clarinets

rl.bhat said:
Then you can do this way.

From equation find I using Io value. Then find intensity of seven clarinets

You basically said this already. Is there anything else you can tell me? I looked up the definition for dB and it is basically the equation I have given to begin with. Still not sure how to get Io, or where to put the 60 in order to find the intensity like the problem asks. Please be clear, some of your answers have had typos and it makes it pretty hard to understand.

thanks again.

B=(10dB)log(I/Io)
In the given problem B = 60 dB.
According to definition of intensity level Io is equal to 10^-12 W/m^2, threshold of human hearing. Here logarithm is taken to base 10.

Related to How Loud Are Seven Clarinets Compared to One?

1. What is sound intensity?

Sound intensity is a measure of the amount of sound energy that passes through a particular area in a certain amount of time. It is typically measured in watts per square meter (W/m²).

2. How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity can be measured using a sound level meter or a microphone. The microphone converts sound waves into electrical signals, which can then be analyzed to determine the sound intensity.

3. What factors affect the sound intensity of a clarinet?

The sound intensity of a clarinet can be affected by factors such as the strength and speed of the player's breath, the design and construction of the instrument, and the air temperature and humidity.

4. How does the sound intensity of a clarinet compare to other instruments?

The sound intensity of a clarinet is typically lower than that of brass instruments, but higher than that of string instruments. However, the sound intensity can vary greatly depending on the skill and technique of the player.

5. Can the sound intensity of a clarinet be changed?

Yes, the sound intensity of a clarinet can be changed by adjusting the player's breath pressure, embouchure, and the position of the keys. Different notes on a clarinet also have varying sound intensities.