Demystifier said:
Which interpretations are you familiar with, and at which level?
I am familiar with instrumentalistic interpretations of QM, including orthodox QM, "let me calculate and explain", and to a certain extend also "shut up and calculate". I have an advanced understanding of how density matrices arise, how to work with them, including various ways to get back to pure states again.
I can compute, in non-relativistic QM, in Fock-space multi-particle QM in second quantization, but not really in QFT. I know how some topics relevant for my daily work (like the random-phase-approximation) look in perturbative Feynman diagram QFT.
I have some feeling for when people of various backgrounds will start to protest, but have not yet found a good way to handle those protest. This is also an important aspect of "let me calculate" occuring in instrumentalistic interpretations.
I am a proponent of the consistent histories interpretation. I accept that it is an incomplete interpretation, that one can still improve it to make it a bit more complete, but that some of its issues will most likely stay as they are for a very long time. My current research in CH consists of
testing "paid pro LLM models" on my proposed entropy bound. However,
neither me nor Claude Opus is brave enough to directly aim for a full proof, instead focusing on consolidating achievable intermediary results and understanding.
After I understood CH good enough, I was very motivated to better understand Bohmian mechanics, to understand how it treats some of the points where CH is weak. I am not a Bohmian, and am sceptical of Bohmians who believe too much in John Bell. Lev Vaidman's perspective on BM is less biased, but even he tries to stay too close to the "wishes" of those Bohmians. For me, both CH and BM are toy models, and I can benefit the most from them when I try to reconcile what they do with instrumentalistic interpretations. Especially, neither demoting the wave function completely to merely nomological status, nor elevating it to a wave function of the universe a la MWI is helpful for an instrumentalist like me. What the instrumentalist needs is a conditional density matrix of the quantum subsystem under investigation.
OK, finally I have to talk about the thermal interpretation. The TI goes beyond the density matrix, instead working directly with the q-expectations encoded in it, and also basing the interpretation on those q-expectations. That
von Neumann-algebra or
generalized probability theory perspective is not easy. At some point I understood why it was important to define q-expectations also for non-self-adjoint operators. So this "people of various backgrounds will start to protest" problem gets much worse, so one goes back to first work-out the
instrumentalistic perspective on the density matrix "nicely".
And finally the reason why I decided to write this post, namely as participant in the
Applied Category Theory Munich Meetup I read
and also continued my study of Bob Coecke's work later on my own. (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categorical_quantum_mechanics could have been a nice link for my previous post, but I am only familiar with Bob Coecke's work.)
Oh well, maybe I would also have to mention my study of N David Mermin both for QM interpretations and quantum computing (and also for ... many other physics topics). I am a Mermin fanboy. My knowledge of quantum computing hardware and theory also influences my perspectives on interpretation of QM, especially concerning the role of locality (yes, QM is local in a suitable sense) and entropy.