How Many Molecules in 1 mL of a Vacuum at 27.0 degrees Celsius?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 4K views
maceng7
Messages
18
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



A vacuum pump on Earth can produce a vacuum with a pressure as low as 1.00*10^-8 torr. How many molecules are present in each mL at a temperature of 27.0 degrees Celsius?

V = 1mL = 10^-3 L <-- How many sig figs should I use here? Should I make it 1.00*10^-3L or keep it 10^-3L?
P = 1.315789 atm
T = 300.15 K
n = ?

Homework Equations



Pv = nRT

The Attempt at a Solution



PV =nRT

n = PV / RT

= (1.315789atm)(1.00*10^-3L) / (0.08206 Latm / Kmol)(300.15K)

= 5.342156*10^-16mol * 6.022*10^23 molecules

= 3.22*10^8 molecules / L <--- How do I change my answer back to how many molecules/mL and how many sig figs should my answer reflect? 1 or 3?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
okay so think a liter is 1000 times bigger than a mL right? so that means it can hold 1000
times the # of molecules that an mL would have? so do you multiply or divide?
 
my mistake, yeah I'd definitely divide my answer by 1000. Also for sig figs, since the question says "one milliliter" how many digits should I interpret that as? Should I let the volume = 1mL, which would give me one sig fig in my answer or should I just make it 1.00mL and include 3 sig figs in my answer?
 
Your answer was already correct - you used 10-3L as a volume, so you calculated number of moles in 1 mL. You added L at the very end of the calculation out of nothing, confusing yourself.

Question says "in each mL" which probably means "exactly mL" - so there is as many significant digits as you want. Sure, it doesn't make sense to report all digits your calculator displays - I would go with three.