1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many non-professors read research journals for fun?

1. May 30, 2007 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

After all, tenure is incredibly hard to get - and most people who strive for it don't earn it.

So for those who couldn't get tenure (and a lot other interested people) - do they still read research journals for fun? (or say, read through graduate level textbooks in other fields for fun)?

I just read a review of this: http://www.amazon.com/Spacetime-Geometry-Introduction-General-Relativity/dp/0805387323

which said...

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2
    My father works at Pfizer and always is reading research journals just for fun. He's been in a few so those are always cool to read and I usually check those out. Theres got to be some more people who read them just for the fun of it. I know my father is so absorbed in Chemistry it is practically all he does (with the exception of the weekends of course).

4. May 30, 2007 #3
    My background is similar. I have a masters in math, but work as a software engineer. I read physics texts in my leisure time. Mostly I stick to QM, but I did read the first 8 chapters of Schutz's First Course in GR. I met Professor Carroll when he gave a lecture at Stony Brook. He is a very entertaining speaker. I plan to read his book next. I am taking a break just now by reading a freshman chemistry book (not a very good one I'm afraid). My favorite text is Principles of QM by Dirac.

5. May 30, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not a faculty member but I read a host of physics and optical journals every month. I also spend a bunch of time reading and rereading graduate texts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?