How many non-professors read research journals for fun?

In summary: I am a little more hardcore into physics than you are, but I don't think that would really affect my opinion.
Simfish
Gold Member
After all, tenure is incredibly hard to get - and most people who strive for it don't earn it.

So for those who couldn't get tenure (and a lot other interested people) - do they still read research journals for fun? (or say, read through graduate level textbooks in other fields for fun)?

I just read a review of this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0805387323/?tag=pfamazon01-20

which said...

My comments come with a few caveats.

1. This is my fourth GR book.
2. I'm not hardcore into physics. I'm not a physics grad and I'm reading GR for fun. I have a decent graduate math background but I've been corrupted with 10+ years in working in various roles software engineering, electronics engineering and marketing.
3. I assume that since you're considering buying this book, you're goal is to get at the "real" GR, not the watered down discover channel version.

With these caveats in mind, here are my comments.

First, on a scale of 1-5, I rank Carroll at level 3 in terms of math/physics maturity and thoroughness. Here is my full ranking of authors from my limited reading: 1. schutz 2. hartle 3. penrose 3. carroll 4. wald 5. physics journal articles

Second, using the rankings above, I recommend Carroll as the second port of entry. If you're comfortable with multivariable calculus, start with schutz (#1). You'll get warm fuzzies doing the toy exercises. But Schutz is tensor/math-lite. If you've had advanced calculus and geometry already, jump in with carroll (#3). But you'll be hard-pressed to find anyone else as polite to the reader. He won't prepare you for 80 percent of what's published. If you're ready to throw off the training wheels and jump dive into mainstream GR go with Wald (#4).

Note that Hartle (#2) is a good "tweener" book with feel-good exercises and some of the full-on GR equations at the end. I bet most instructors teaching a first year grad course would go with Hartle along with a dose of supplementary material.

Third, don't expect Carroll to be your last GR book purchase if you want to reach the promised land (see caveat #4). Living and breathing GR is found in physics journals and for that you'll need Wald or another advanced GR book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
My father works at Pfizer and always is reading research journals just for fun. He's been in a few so those are always cool to read and I usually check those out. Theres got to be some more people who read them just for the fun of it. I know my father is so absorbed in Chemistry it is practically all he does (with the exception of the weekends of course).

My background is similar. I have a masters in math, but work as a software engineer. I read physics texts in my leisure time. Mostly I stick to QM, but I did read the first 8 chapters of Schutz's First Course in GR. I met Professor Carroll when he gave a lecture at Stony Brook. He is a very entertaining speaker. I plan to read his book next. I am taking a break just now by reading a freshman chemistry book (not a very good one I'm afraid). My favorite text is Principles of QM by Dirac.

I am not a faculty member but I read a host of physics and optical journals every month. I also spend a bunch of time reading and rereading graduate texts.

1. How do you define a non-professor in this context?

A non-professor in this context refers to an individual who is not employed as a researcher or academic in a scientific field. This can include individuals who have a general interest in science and enjoy reading research journals, but do not have a formal education or career in the field.

2. Is there a significant number of non-professors who read research journals for fun?

It is difficult to determine an exact number, but there is evidence that suggests a considerable number of non-professionals engage in reading research journals for personal interest. A study published in the journal Science Communication found that about one-third of the general public read science-related articles for pleasure.

3. What motivates non-professionals to read research journals for fun?

There are various reasons why non-professionals may enjoy reading research journals. Some may have a general interest in science and want to expand their knowledge, while others may be curious about a specific topic or want to stay updated on the latest scientific developments. Reading research journals can also provide a sense of intellectual stimulation and satisfaction.

4. Are there any benefits to non-professionals reading research journals for fun?

Yes, there are several potential benefits to reading research journals for fun. It can improve critical thinking skills, expand knowledge and understanding of scientific concepts, and enhance overall scientific literacy. Additionally, it can also provide a sense of personal fulfillment and contribute to a lifelong learning mindset.

5. How can non-professionals access research journals for fun?

There are various ways for non-professionals to access research journals for fun. Many journals offer open access options, allowing anyone to read their articles for free. Additionally, some public libraries and universities offer access to research journals through their online databases. Non-professionals can also consider subscribing to popular science magazines that cover research articles in a more accessible and engaging manner.