Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many non-professors read research journals for fun?

1. May 30, 2007 #1

Simfish

Gold Member

After all, tenure is incredibly hard to get - and most people who strive for it don't earn it.

So for those who couldn't get tenure (and a lot other interested people) - do they still read research journals for fun? (or say, read through graduate level textbooks in other fields for fun)?

I just read a review of this: http://www.amazon.com/Spacetime-Geometry-Introduction-General-Relativity/dp/0805387323

which said...

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2007 #2
    My father works at Pfizer and always is reading research journals just for fun. He's been in a few so those are always cool to read and I usually check those out. Theres got to be some more people who read them just for the fun of it. I know my father is so absorbed in Chemistry it is practically all he does (with the exception of the weekends of course).

4. May 30, 2007 #3
    My background is similar. I have a masters in math, but work as a software engineer. I read physics texts in my leisure time. Mostly I stick to QM, but I did read the first 8 chapters of Schutz's First Course in GR. I met Professor Carroll when he gave a lecture at Stony Brook. He is a very entertaining speaker. I plan to read his book next. I am taking a break just now by reading a freshman chemistry book (not a very good one I'm afraid). My favorite text is Principles of QM by Dirac.

5. May 30, 2007 #4

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I am not a faculty member but I read a host of physics and optical journals every month. I also spend a bunch of time reading and rereading graduate texts.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?