1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many REU's should I apply to? (Sophomore Chemical Engineering)

1. Dec 18, 2009 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm currently a sophomore chemical engineering major and I'm looking to do an REU related to physical or organic chemistry, or chemical engineering applications. I know most people here would be math or physics or other engineering majors, but I'm just wondering if anyone who had a similar background to mine can provide some guidance.

I have a 3.981/4.000 GPA, 4.0 in my major classes.
    Here are the relevant course I will have finished by the end of the year: organic chemistry, thermodynamics, phase equilibrium & separations, fluid mechanics, heat transfer, mass transfer, kinetics & reactor engineering, ordinary differential equations (with Fourier analysis), partial differential equations. I will basically have all courses for my curriculum completed except for the design and laboratory courses.

I have previous research experience and am currently doing research, however, both experiences have not been incredibly involved. I worked in a theoretical physical chemistry lab one summer but I was pretty much just told to calculate some properties by inputting values into this quantum chemistry program; I didn't really understand what was going on. I'm currently doing a chemistry related research where I use NMR to analyze some samples; I have been trained to operate the NMR machines but in terms of analysis, what I do is straightforward albeit time consuming.

So, given that I am a sophomore who has taken a lot of courses already but doesn't have incredibly extensive research experience, how many REU sites should I apply to?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 18, 2009 #2

eri

I was in a similar situation when I was a sophomore - good grades and previous research experience. I applied to 10 REU programs and got 5 offers. I think it's a bit more competitive now - apply to as many as you can to get a range of options.

4. Dec 18, 2009 #3
    I don't know how it is in ChemE, but last year I was in a similar situation. I applied to 11 programs(I think) and got into one.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook