How many rockets would it take....

• Thread starter wetlander
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rockets
In summary, there is a limit to how many rockets can be launched at the same time around the entire earth. The world is ending, so it doesn't really matter. The limiting factor is how much rocket fuel can be made in the time window. If the atmosphere is destroyed, anyone left behind is already dead. The goal is to get as many people off the planet as possible, and I can give more details if you wish. Mars has been taken over by the enemy, and everyone is dead.
wetlander
The world is ending bla bla bla. :) The core question is, how many rockets can launch at the same time around the entire earth. Doesn’t matter if the atmosphere is destroyed after, anyone left behind is already dead. What matters is getting as many people off the planet at the same time. I can give more details if you wish but not really ready to release details of my story quiet yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
wetlander said:
The world is ending bla bla bla. :) The core question is, how many rockets can launch at the same time around the entire earth. Doesn’t matter if the atmosphere is destroyed after, anyone left behind is already dead. What matters is getting as many people off the planet at the same time. I can give more details if you wish but not really ready to release details of my story quiet yet.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

It would seem that the limiting factor is how many rockets can you build and how much rocket fuel can you make in your time window. That will determine how many you can launch...

TY TY. So happy i found this place. Was trying to find an answer to this question and just kinda stumbled in here. Plan on reading a bunch through here when I'm not sitting at work. :D

Ok, so my timeframes here are flexible as this is just a small section of the overall storyline. more history than anything. i think the current time frame is set to 6-10 years from 'news' to 'impact' (no not an asteroid). After some time of chaos, with lots of chaos still ensuing around the planet, governments get control and people start working together. The goverments are busy fighting a war in which lots of resources are being devoted.

Every possible resource not devoted to the war is devoted to buliding ships. Their plan is to all launch at once as the incoming doom cannot be avoided. I imagain things like, NYC deconstructing skyscrapers for the steel.

This is also some time in the future, i did a rough population projection based on my timeline and there would be something like 150 billion people on the planet at the time. Space is just starting to become colonized by humans in any sort of real numbers, less than a million, several million soldiers fighting a war (no not aliens either).

I am more than reasonably confident that the planet cannot support 150 billion people. (It can't support 7 billion at present consumption rates for natural resources.)

Moreover, many projections see growth levelling out by the end of this century at around 11 billion.

I presume you have somewhere for all these rockets to go? Has Mars been terraformed? Are their O'Neill habitats in orbit? Something else?

I'm still floating numbers in my head. again that part is just backstory. (this is 200-300 years from now)

and no, the only habitat that was being constructed is destroyed. You can maybe sift through the pieces.

Mars is in the hands of the enemy.

on here i'll just call this; "Oh **** we went and destroyed earth... now what." :D lol

wetlander said:
and no, the only habitat that was being constructed is destroyed. You can maybe sift through the pieces.

Mars is in the hands of the enemy.

In this case everyone is dead. It's not enough to simply be in space, anymore than it's enough to escape conflict by driving into the middle of the desert. You need to bring along a sustainable ecosystem, infrastructure, an economy capable of producing all the parts needed to maintain your habitat etc.

I'd suggest working in some sort of space habitat city state into the story, whether it be in orbit of Earth or elsewhere in the system. Mass exodus off Earth as it slides into total war and how the habitat deals with hordes of refugees (particularly given the strain that would put on a mostly closed ecosystem) would be an interesting story.

Check implications and extrapolations of your tech. 'Laser Launchers' may have a chance. Do 'Reaction Engines Ltd' get their funding ? Worst case, 'Orion Shall Rise'...

Ryan_m_b said:
In this case everyone is dead. ..
The marauding cannibals will have plenty of food for a few years. You just need mohawks and S&M leather outfits.

1. How many rockets would it take to reach the moon?

The number of rockets needed to reach the moon depends on several factors, including the type of rocket, the payload weight, and the trajectory. However, on average, it would take about 3 rockets to reach the moon.

2. How many rockets would it take to reach Mars?

The number of rockets needed to reach Mars also varies depending on the same factors as reaching the moon. However, on average, it would take about 7 rockets to reach Mars.

3. How many rockets would it take to reach the sun?

Reaching the sun would require significantly more rockets due to the immense distance and heat. It would take about 90 rockets to reach the sun.

4. How many rockets would it take to reach the edge of the solar system?

The edge of the solar system is constantly expanding, and the exact distance is not known. However, it would take about 20 rockets to reach the current estimated edge of the solar system.

5. How many rockets would it take to reach another galaxy?

The number of rockets needed to reach another galaxy is nearly impossible to determine as it would require traveling trillions of miles. It would take an unimaginable amount of rockets to reach another galaxy.