1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many rotations of peddels per second?

1. Oct 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A bicycle drives on a straight road with a velocity v = 18 km/h. How many turns (rotations) of peddles per second must be carried out by cyclists, if the radius of the wheels r = 35 cm, and the ratio of the radii of front and rear gear wheels is 2:1?

2. Relevant equations

I used formula v=2(pi)r * f

3. The attempt at a solutionSo, I have another problem which says:

I converted: 18km/h = 5m/s and 35cm = 0.35m, so now we have all units unified.

I plugged the numbers into the formula and got the result f= 2.27.

And now we have the ratio 2:1, and since the the front gear wheel is larger than the rear one I multiplied by 2 and got the FINAL result which is 4.55 turns of peddles per second.
    Are my calculations correct?
    Thank you for all the help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 10, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If the ratio of the gears is 2:1 doesn't that mean 2revs of the pedals to each rotation of the rear wheel?

4. Oct 11, 2009 #3
    So that mean that I have to divide by to and the correct final answer is f= 1.14?

5. Oct 11, 2009 #4

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes -
    Twice the radaii on the front cog means that it rotates once for 2 rotations of the back cog (and hence the back wheel) - this is the normal gearing for a bike (except the lowest gear on a mountain bike) - I thought the question had claimed the opposite.

6. Oct 11, 2009 #5
    Thank you for your help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook