Revolutions per second for hydrogen molecule

In summary, the energy levels and distance between nucleons were given for an H2 molecule. The task was to find the revolutions per second of the molecule in different states. The equation initially used was incorrect as it applied to vibrations rather than rotations. The correct equation for rotational dynamics is E_rotational = 1/2 * I * omega^2, where I is the moment of inertia and omega is the angular velocity. After substituting the values and converting from radians per second to revolutions per second, the correct answers were obtained.
Effect

Homework Statement

The distance between the both nucleons in the H2 molecule is 0.0741 nm
The energy for the 3 lowest radiation levels of the molecule are:
##E_{0}=0 \\
E_{1}=0.0151 eV \\
E_{2}=0.0453 eV##
How many revolutions per second does the molecule rotate with in the different states?

Homework Equations

See attachment
?temp_hash=f9aa9466b32d47ffe295eddddddd674e.png

The Attempt at a Solution

How many revolutions per second does the molecule rotate with? I thought that if f in the last equation above is frequency then the rotational speed would be omega=f*2pi. So if we rewrite the last equation we get
## f=\frac{E_{v}}{(\nu+1/2)h} \Leftrightarrow \omega=\frac{2\pi* E_{v}}{(\nu+1/2)h} ##

Of course the first level gives zero rev/s but for the others I get the wrong answer. When putting in the above values, I get

##\omega=\frac{2\pi* 0.0151* 1.606*10^{-19}}{(1+1/2)*6.626*10^{-34}}=1.53*10^{14} rev/s ## which is incorrect. Also the other value gives the wrong answer in this equation.

The correct answers should be:
##\omega_0 = 0 \\ \omega_1 = 5.2*10^{12} \\ \omega_2 = 9.0*10^{12} \\ (rev/s)##

I don't understand how to get to these answers. Shouldn't the above equation be used? Or is it something else that needs to be taken into consideration? Please help how to get to these answers.

Attachments

• rotation.png
    rotation.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 844
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Effect said:

Homework Statement

The distance between the both nucleons in the H2 molecule is 0.0741 nm
The energy for the 3 lowest radiation levels of the molecule are:
##E_{0}=0 \\
E_{1}=0.0151 eV \\
E_{2}=0.0453 eV##
How many revolutions per second does the molecule rotate with in the different states?

Homework Equations

See attachment
?temp_hash=f9aa9466b32d47ffe295eddddddd674e.png

The Attempt at a Solution

How many revolutions per second does the molecule rotate with? I thought that if f in the last equation above is frequency then the rotational speed would be omega=f*2pi. So if we rewrite the last equation we get
## f=\frac{E_{v}}{(\nu+1/2)h} \Leftrightarrow \omega=\frac{2\pi* E_{v}}{(\nu+1/2)h} ##

Of course the first level gives zero rev/s but for the others I get the wrong answer. When putting in the above values, I get

##\omega=\frac{2\pi* 0.0151* 1.606*10^{-19}}{(1+1/2)*6.626*10^{-34}}=1.53*10^{14} rev/s ## which is incorrect. Also the other value gives the wrong answer in this equation.

The correct answers should be:
##\omega_0 = 0 \\ \omega_1 = 5.2*10^{12} \\ \omega_2 = 9.0*10^{12} \\ (rev/s)##

I don't understand how to get to these answers. Shouldn't the above equation be used? Or is it something else that needs to be taken into consideration? Please help how to get to these answers.
The equation you started with applies to vibrations of the molecule, not rotations. It doesn't apply here.

You need to go back and review rotational kinematics to find out how the energy is related to the frequency of rotation.

Do you mean rotational dynamics $$E_{rotational}=1/2 I\omega^2$$
This?

I still don't get the right answer.

Yes, that's right. It worked for me. Show your work.

##E_{rotational}=1/2 I\omega^2 \Leftrightarrow \omega=\sqrt{\frac{2E}{I}} \\
I=1/2mr^2##
$$\Rightarrow \omega=\sqrt{\frac{4E}{mr^2}}$$
##\Rightarrow \omega=\sqrt{\frac{4*0.0151*1.606*10^{-19}}{1.66*10^{-27}*(7.41*10^{-11})^2}}=1.03*10^{13}##

Last edited:
Divide by ##2\pi## since you want the result in rev/s.

##\frac{1.03*10^{13}}{2\pi}=1.64*10^{12}##
Still not correct, correct answer should be ##5.2*10^{12}##

I don't get ##1.03 \times 10^{13}## in the numerator from the expression you gave above. I get ##3.26 \times 10^{13}##.

You are correct, I must have made a careless mistake somewhere. Thank you for your assistance!

Effect said:
##\Rightarrow \omega=\sqrt{\frac{4*0.0151*1.606*10^{-19}}{1.66*10^{-27}*(7.41*10^{-11})^2}}=1.03*10^{13}##
Under the square root, the result is 1.0642x1027. You took the square root of 1.0642, and added the magnitude 1013 instead of the square root of 10.642 x 10 26.

1. What is a revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule?

A revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule refers to the number of times the molecule completes a full rotation in one second. This is a measure of the molecule's rotational speed.

2. How is the revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule measured?

The revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule is typically measured using spectroscopic techniques. This involves measuring the energy levels of the molecule as it rotates and using this information to calculate the rotational speed.

3. What is the typical revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule?

The revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule can vary depending on the temperature and pressure of the environment it is in. However, at room temperature and pressure, the typical rotational speed for a hydrogen molecule is around 1013 revolutions per second.

4. How does the revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule affect its properties?

The revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule is directly related to its energy and therefore can affect its physical and chemical properties. For example, a higher rotational speed can result in a higher reactivity of the molecule.

5. Can the revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule be changed?

Yes, the revolution per second for a hydrogen molecule can be changed by altering the temperature and pressure of the environment it is in. It can also be affected by the presence of other molecules or external forces.