How Many Terms Are Needed to Estimate This Alternating Series Within 0.01?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
kuczmama
Messages
11
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



How many terms of the series
∞
Ʃ (-1)n/(ln(n+1))
n=1
are needed in order to estimate the exact sum within .01

Homework Equations



I know that I need to use the remainder estimate for the integral test where Rn=s-sn

and that ∫ from (n+1) to ∞ of f(x)dx [itex]\leq[/itex] Rn [itex]\leq[/itex] ∫ from (n) to ∞ of f(x)dx



The Attempt at a Solution



I tried to take the integral but I don't know how, and I can't figure out another way to approach the problem
 
Physics news on Phys.org


I don't think you want to use an integral.

Hint: Don't you have a theorem for alternating series (with certain hypotheses) that compares the error to the first term not included?