Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many times in a week do you shower?

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Why do people shower everyday? This is only a recent phenomena. People didn't shower everyday until the 1900s. I cut back from showering everyday to showering every other day and it has made my skin much better. I mean if I sweat or workout, I'll shower afterwords. But why is there such a dumb social stigma about not showering everyday? My one roommate in college would shower almost 15-20 times per week.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

In the summer, every day. In the winter, every two days, usually. Never longer than two days, though.

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    My record is one week without shower. And a friend of mine proudly said that he didn't had a shower for 20 days.. (and yes, he has soap, towel, and access to bathroom) LOL.

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4
    14 times a week
    and no I don't spread them out evenly
    I treat my showers like my assignments
    14 showers on sunday night

6. Jan 13, 2010 #5
    Usually once a day. Occasionally if I am in a hurry and slept in I will skip on my shower and on my days off when I am just sitting at home by myself I usually don't worry about it much. My skin and hair both tend to get very oily though so I pretty much need a shower every day or I will look like a greasy bum.

7. Jan 13, 2010 #6
    I take one to two showers a day... I wash my hair once every other day though. The days I take two showers I'm probably going out somewhere or I just stand in the water for 30 minutes :smile:

8. Jan 13, 2010 #7
    My mother would shower the cats at least once a week. Some actually liked it. Most of them would eventually get used to it. Maybe once I grow up, I will hate showering.

9. Jan 13, 2010 #8

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Usually once or twice a week. I'm not athletic, so this is more than enough.

For people who play sports on a regular basis, I can't imagine not showering once every day.

10. Jan 13, 2010 #9
    Once or twice a week are you serious? I remember working with people who thought it was normal to shower this often they smelt so bad. It was rediculous.

11. Jan 13, 2010 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am not athletic but I shower every day. (OK, while I'm doing reno, I may skip the occasional cleaning-up routine).

I am not sure I'd want to sit around a table with anyone who doesn't shower daily.

12. Jan 13, 2010 #11
    I shower, at least once a day. Sometimes more, depending on what I did that day.

13. Jan 13, 2010 #12
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/larson.htm

14. Jan 13, 2010 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

15. Jan 13, 2010 #14
    Put on deodorant.

16. Jan 13, 2010 #15
    pwned

17. Jan 13, 2010 #16
    Where's the "like" button when you need it??

18. Jan 13, 2010 #17

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I usually shower once a day, or (usually on weekends) take a bath if I have time to soak and read a couple of magazines. In the winter I can get away with skipping one day, but my hair gets greasy. (I sometimes joke that I ought to join OPEC because of my facial and hair oil. :yuck:) If I'm going to wash my hair I might as well take a shower.

On days when I don't shower or bathe, I at least use soap and a washcloth on "crucial" areas.

19. Jan 13, 2010 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sure. And your socks will last for a few days' wearing if you spray them with Febreze instead of washing em.

I think the only smell worse than B.O. is that of B.O. covered with a slathering of deoderant.

20. Jan 13, 2010 #19

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Winter, once a day, summer, twice a day, typically.
    *12 hours after you shower, stick your nose into your armit and inhale. You'll know.
    Nor did they live past 30, on average...
    People dislike body odor. I don't consider that dumb. BO is one of the most disgusting odors there is.
    *Ok, make that 18 hours. Deodorant is a daily necessity, just like showering, but it doesn't last longer than a day, and it only covers normal body scents - it does nothing for BO itself. BO is the smell of bacteria decomposing your sweat, like a week of standing water in a gutter, or what's growing on that food you left in your sink all week.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  21. Jan 13, 2010 #20
    Riiiiiiiiight, because discoveries of things like penicillin or the eradication of small pox played no role in increasing the average life expectancy. What does average life expectancy pre-1930s have to do with showering?

If you aren't sweating, BO is controllable with a daily application of deodorant. We aren't talking about going a week without a shower here. Maybe just 1 day.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook