Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How many times in a week do you shower?

1. Jan 13, 2010 #1
    Why do people shower everyday? This is only a recent phenomena. People didn't shower everyday until the 1900s. I cut back from showering everyday to showering every other day and it has made my skin much better. I mean if I sweat or workout, I'll shower afterwords. But why is there such a dumb social stigma about not showering everyday? My one roommate in college would shower almost 15-20 times per week.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 13, 2010 #2

turbo

Gold Member

In the summer, every day. In the winter, every two days, usually. Never longer than two days, though.

4. Jan 13, 2010 #3
    My record is one week without shower. And a friend of mine proudly said that he didn't had a shower for 20 days.. (and yes, he has soap, towel, and access to bathroom) LOL.

5. Jan 13, 2010 #4
    14 times a week
    and no I don't spread them out evenly
    I treat my showers like my assignments
    14 showers on sunday night

6. Jan 13, 2010 #5
    Usually once a day. Occasionally if I am in a hurry and slept in I will skip on my shower and on my days off when I am just sitting at home by myself I usually don't worry about it much. My skin and hair both tend to get very oily though so I pretty much need a shower every day or I will look like a greasy bum.

7. Jan 13, 2010 #6
    I take one to two showers a day... I wash my hair once every other day though. The days I take two showers I'm probably going out somewhere or I just stand in the water for 30 minutes :smile:

8. Jan 13, 2010 #7
    My mother would shower the cats at least once a week. Some actually liked it. Most of them would eventually get used to it. Maybe once I grow up, I will hate showering.

9. Jan 13, 2010 #8

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Usually once or twice a week. I'm not athletic, so this is more than enough.

For people who play sports on a regular basis, I can't imagine not showering once every day.

10. Jan 13, 2010 #9
    Once or twice a week are you serious? I remember working with people who thought it was normal to shower this often they smelt so bad. It was rediculous.

11. Jan 13, 2010 #10

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I am not athletic but I shower every day. (OK, while I'm doing reno, I may skip the occasional cleaning-up routine).

I am not sure I'd want to sit around a table with anyone who doesn't shower daily.

12. Jan 13, 2010 #11
    I shower, at least once a day. Sometimes more, depending on what I did that day.

13. Jan 13, 2010 #12
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/eid/vol7no2/larson.htm

14. Jan 13, 2010 #13

DaveC426913

Gold Member

15. Jan 13, 2010 #14
    Put on deodorant.

16. Jan 13, 2010 #15
    pwned

17. Jan 13, 2010 #16
    Where's the "like" button when you need it??

18. Jan 13, 2010 #17

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

I usually shower once a day, or (usually on weekends) take a bath if I have time to soak and read a couple of magazines. In the winter I can get away with skipping one day, but my hair gets greasy. (I sometimes joke that I ought to join OPEC because of my facial and hair oil. :yuck:) If I'm going to wash my hair I might as well take a shower.

On days when I don't shower or bathe, I at least use soap and a washcloth on "crucial" areas.

19. Jan 13, 2010 #18

DaveC426913

Gold Member

Sure. And your socks will last for a few days' wearing if you spray them with Febreze instead of washing em.

I think the only smell worse than B.O. is that of B.O. covered with a slathering of deoderant.

20. Jan 13, 2010 #19

russ_watters

Winter, once a day, summer, twice a day, typically.
    *12 hours after you shower, stick your nose into your armit and inhale. You'll know.
    Nor did they live past 30, on average...
    People dislike body odor. I don't consider that dumb. BO is one of the most disgusting odors there is.
    *Ok, make that 18 hours. Deodorant is a daily necessity, just like showering, but it doesn't last longer than a day, and it only covers normal body scents - it does nothing for BO itself. BO is the smell of bacteria decomposing your sweat, like a week of standing water in a gutter, or what's growing on that food you left in your sink all week.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  21. Jan 13, 2010 #20
    Riiiiiiiiight, because discoveries of things like penicillin or the eradication of small pox played no role in increasing the average life expectancy. What does average life expectancy pre-1930s have to do with showering?

If you aren't sweating, BO is controllable with a daily application of deodorant. We aren't talking about going a week without a shower here. Maybe just 1 day.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2010
  22. Jan 13, 2010 #21

russ_watters

The doubling of life expectancy last century had much more to do with hygeine/sanitation than it did medicine.
    People do not ever stop sweating.
    You said two days in the OP and in any case, implied that even this might be more than necessary with your tone. In the winter, that might be ok, in the summer definitely not. Most people's armpits and feet sweat enough that they smell noticeably in just a few hours.

But the other reason I shower every day is I hate the feeling of being unclean. That sticky feeling stale sweat has on your armpits and feet, the grease from dying sweat on your forhead - it's disgusting.

23. Jan 13, 2010 #22

DaveC426913

Gold Member

I don't think he was suggesting a direct cause and effect. But there's definitely a correlation between health and hygiene.

Everyone sweats several pounds every day. No exceptions.

And yes, it's controllable. And yes maybe here & there. But by habit??

Anyway, I say we just agree to disagree. It's not like you're going to hell over it. :wink:

24. Jan 13, 2010 #23
    I don't see the big issue with showering daily... If you're efficient you can shower "properly" in just a few minutes. I usually shower in the morning and brush my teeth in the shower while the water washes off all the soap.

25. Jan 13, 2010 #24
    Might have been better to point out that pre 1900s in door plumbing was a luxury that not many people had. The plumbing that they did have was not very reliable and there was also the issue of making sure to have clean water to drink let alone bath in. I think most people from that era would be horrified at the quantity of water the average American puts down the drain taking a shower.

26. Jan 13, 2010 #25

DaveC426913

Gold Member

While i am definitely on the "once a day" thing, there is a down-side to washing too often*; it's just a matter of where the sweet spot is between too little and too much.

*washing too often tends to strip the natural oils from the body and the hair. This will dry out the skin and hyperstimulate the oil glands.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook