How many times in a week do you shower?

• Thread starter gravenewworld
  • Start date
In summary: People started showering everyday because it was seen as hygienic and it was thought that it would keep you from getting sick. But over the years, the social stigma against not showering has grown and people are now mostly just doing it because it's socially acceptable.
ideasrule said:
Habituation?

Precisely.

Physics news on Phys.org
Count Iblis said:
I try to shower as little as possible, but unfortunately I haven't been able to shower less than about two to three times per week, routinely. I have gone without taking a shower for a few weeks a few times in my life.

Taking showers is unhealthy for the skin. The bacteria that live on your skin that make you smell are beneficial. Sweat contains many beneficial compounds. We are animals and animals have evolved not to need showers. Mud bads may be ok. though.

dude. . . . gross.

You walk into a fish market you go
"JESUS THAT SMELLS"
after 15 mins it's not so bad.

If you go out and have fresh air for a bit, then return to said fish market BAM you can smell it at full force again.

As beginning to smell is a gradual thing, it's not always noticable to the smellee, but someone who's beeen breathing nice fresh air may think you smell like crud. It's all opinion.
That's a good point. But I've been in stinky rooms before and I never get used to the stink.
Like my friends house for example. I usually stay over there all day on weekends. His house doesn't smell very good at all. He smokes, has animals and it's pretty dirty. When I walk into his house, I smell it. When I'm there for hours, if I take a whiff of the air, I'll still smell it.

leroyjenkens said:
That's a good point. But I've been in stinky rooms before and I never get used to the stink
Like my friends house for example. I usually stay over there all day on weekends. His house doesn't smell very good at all. He smokes, has animals and it's pretty dirty. When I walk into his house, I smell it. When I'm there for hours, if I take a whiff of the air, I'll still smell it.

So what. Is there a point to this little statement?

xxChrisxx said:
So what. Is there a point to this little statement?

Yeah, just because you can get used to smells, doesn't mean you can't smell them.

leroyjenkens said:
Yeah, just because you can get used to smells, doesn't mean you can't smell them.

For all practical purposes that's PRECISELY what it means, your brain blanks out the stimulus. You can technically still smell it, as the receptors pick up the stimulus, but your brain then filters it out. ISH I'm not a biologist, but someone here can describe precisly how it works.

Some people are sensitive to some smells, I personally am sensitive to cigarette smoke now I've stopped. The cig smell never really goes from my nostrils as it clings around. When I was a smoker I never noticed it.

Which is the point that Dave was rightly talking about. Just because YOU don't believe you smell doesn't mean others will hold the same opinion.

EDIT: I also know precisely what Dave is talking about when he says the 'stale' smell.

leroyjenkens said:
That's a good point. But I've been in stinky rooms before and I never get used to the stink.

You need to stay for longer there. It will do you good.

I shower daily, because if I don't my hair becomes unbearably greasy. Even taking a 2 hour nap during the day (on the rare occasions I have the time) can make my hear incredibly greasy. I'm not sure what it is about sleeping and greasy hair, but I absolutely must shower.

The only time I can get away with not showering is when I've recently shaved my head, but even then, I do it out of habit.

leroyjenkens said:
So you can get accustomed to one smell (not taking a shower), but you can also get accustomed to the opposite of that smell (taking a shower)?
So that means if you don't take a shower, to you, you would smell the same as you do if you do take a shower? If you're accustomed to both smells, you wouldn't notice the difference.

So you're saying your crotch smells good 24/7? At the beginning of the day, you take a shower, but somehow at the end of the day, your crotch is still nice and fresh?

Man you honestly are on some next level. How can something smell OPPOSITE of another smell, that's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. "it smells opposite of grass" REALLY! oh kay!

When you shower you may smell 'good' who knows maybe you don't use fragranced soap so you just smell like your water? I don't know. You get used to that. When you start to 'smell bad' you don't 'smell opposite' of what you smell like when your clean.

Here's some homework for you. Go look up what occurs within the body to make various smells that we find 'smell bad'. Then go and find out if this works the same way for all people. (I'll tell you it doesn't, not everyone smells the same when they 'smell bad' YOU get used to your OWN smells) It's YOU getting used to YOUR body smelling DIFFERENT ways. Not 'OPPOSITE' ways.

As well I never said that my crotch smells good however since I practice a routine hygiene program and take care of the area I'm certain that it would never smell 'off putting' to any potential person... So it might not smell like the hugo boss or old spice shower gel that I use to wash my body when I'm in the shower after 24 hours but it sure wouldn't smell 'bad'.

Count Iblis said:
We are animals and animals have evolved not to need showers.
We are also animals that have evolved to not live much past 30.
Or use toothbrushes.
Or wear clothes.
Or live in houses.

'We are animals' is no excuse. Unless you take it as a package deal.

DaveC426913 said:
We are also animals that have evolved to not live much past 30.
Or use toothbrushes.
Or wear clothes.
Or live in houses.

'We are animals' is no excuse. Unless you take it as a package deal.

I've read that our bodies did evolve while we were wearing clothes and while we were cooking our food. As for brushing our teeth, I've read that dental plaque actually protects the tooth enamel against acids. Once you start to brush your teeth and go to the dentist regularly, you have to go all the way and take very good care of your teeth permanently.

Count Iblis said:
I've read that dental plaque actually protects the tooth enamel against acids. Once you start to brush your teeth and go to the dentist regularly, you have to go all the way and take very good care of your teeth permanently.

What would you say is notable about the condition and health of teeth from a couple of centuries ago versus modern times?

For all practical purposes that's PRECISELY what it means, your brain blanks out the stimulus. You can technically still smell it, as the receptors pick up the stimulus, but your brain then filters it out. ISH I'm not a biologist, but someone here can describe precisly how it works.
I know what you're saying. Kinda like when something is touching you, you feel it at first, but your brain eventually blocks it out. Like when people don't know where they put their pencil, when it's right behind their ear.
Which is the point that Dave was rightly talking about. Just because YOU don't believe you smell doesn't mean others will hold the same opinion.
Regardless if your brain blocks out smells you "get used to", you're still able to smell them. If you walk into a stinky bathroom, the unpleasant odor will be offensive to you. If you stay there long enough, it will no longer be quite as offensive and you'll "get used to it". But your brain doesn't make you anosmatic. You can still smell it.
If you make a deliberate attempt to smell yourself, you'll be able to tell if you stink or not, since you know if it's different than what you smell like when you're clean.
EDIT: I also know precisely what Dave is talking about when he says the 'stale' smell.
"Stale" isn't a defined smell. If I said something smells like an orange, anyone who's smelled an orange would know what I'm talking about. "Stale" could mean two different things to two different people. Not all "stale" things smell alike.
I know where you're going with that, though. Since I don't recognize "stale" as a smell, that means I'm unable to smell it and I probably emit such an odor.
Just because I don't automatically equate a word with a smell, doesn't mean I wouldn't recognize a smell if I smelt it.
I'll make up a new one and act surprised when someone doesn't know the exact smell the word is assigned to.
Man you honestly are on some next level. How can something smell OPPOSITE of another smell, that's the most absurd thing I've ever heard. "it smells opposite of grass" REALLY! oh kay!
A bad smell is the opposite of a good smell. It's not perfect, but neither was your analogy.
When you shower you may smell 'good' who knows maybe you don't use fragranced soap so you just smell like your water? I don't know. You get used to that. When you start to 'smell bad' you don't 'smell opposite' of what you smell like when your clean.
But you can recognize the difference.
Here's some homework for you. Go look up what occurs within the body to make various smells that we find 'smell bad'. Then go and find out if this works the same way for all people. (I'll tell you it doesn't, not everyone smells the same when they 'smell bad' YOU get used to your OWN smells) It's YOU getting used to YOUR body smelling DIFFERENT ways. Not 'OPPOSITE' ways.
If someone doesn't use deodorant, you can smell it. And it smells the same for everybody.
As well I never said that my crotch smells good however since I practice a routine hygiene program and take care of the area I'm certain that it would never smell 'off putting' to any potential person... So it might not smell like the hugo boss or old spice shower gel that I use to wash my body when I'm in the shower after 24 hours but it sure wouldn't smell 'bad'.
It might. Even if I did take a shower every day, I wouldn't want to just stick my crotch in somebody's face without making sure it's clean. I would hope you'd do the same thing, cause you don't know what your crotch could smell like 24 whole hours after it's been cleaned.
Or do you do a daily crotch check just to make sure you keep a consistent neutral crotch smell?
As for brushing our teeth, I've read that dental plaque actually protects the tooth enamel against acids.
Here's a quote from the dental plaque wiki article.
The microorganisms present in dental plaque are all naturally present in the oral cavity, and are normally harmless. However, failure to remove plaque by regular tooth brushing means that they are allowed to build up in a thick layer. Those microorganisms nearest the tooth surface convert to anaerobic respiration; it is in this state that they start to produce acids.
The dental plaque creates the acids.

There were a lot of things that weren't done in the early 1900s that we do now because we better understand health and hygiene.

I shower at least once daily, sometimes twice. I generally take my showers when I get home from work, since that's when I'm stinky from the anatomy labs. Sometimes I need an extra shower in the morning to wake up or because I sweat a lot at night or some such.

Always always always take a shower in the morning. People who don't smell terrible through out the day. I know cause I've worked with them. Disgusting people.

I shower twice a day.

Moonbear said:
There were a lot of things that weren't done in the early 1900s that we do now because we better understand health and hygiene.

I shower at least once daily, sometimes twice. I generally take my showers when I get home from work, since that's when I'm stinky from the anatomy labs. Sometimes I need an extra shower in the morning to wake up or because I sweat a lot at night or some such.

I generally reach my home/room at about 12-1 AM when I try to go for a shower. And, I leave in about 10-20 minutes after I wake up, so I always find it very hard to find sufficient time during school. When I work, I take hot shower once I reach home as it can be very relaxing. It is easier during those times and I get tired more.

DaveC426913 said:
Actually, I think most people from this era would be horrified at the quantity of water the average American puts down the drain.

Quick poll: do you shut off the tap while brushing your teeth?

No I don't, but I just figured that I could punish myself later by cutting my next daily shower short by 10 seconds. Easy done :smile:

Mentallic said:
No I don't, but I just figured that I could punish myself later by cutting my next daily shower short by 10 seconds. Easy done :smile:
You take only 10 seconds to brush your teeth?

(Or, you take 70 seconds to brush youir teeth but only do so once a week?)

DaveC426913 said:
You take only 10 seconds to brush your teeth?

(Or, you take 70 seconds to brush youir teeth but only do so once a week?)

The flow rate an a shower is slightly higher than a tap... In any case it was obviously a joke.

The Joker said:
Why. So. Serious?

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
The flow rate an a shower is slightly higher than a tap... In any case it was obviously a joke.
Yes, it can be hard to tell when people are just joshin' around, can"t it?

i don't live in a state that has to steal water from other states to survive. in fact, it's one of our greatest resources. so i use as much as i want without any guilt.

Proton Soup said:
i don't live in a state that has to steal water from other states to survive. in fact, it's one of our greatest resources. so i use as much as i want without any guilt.

We're all on this Earth together, regardless of where you live.

leroyjenkens said:
We're all on this Earth together, regardless of where you live.

you can't hug a child with nuclear arms

When I brush my teethies in the morning and at night, I will put the toothpaste on the toothbrush, brush my teethies, and then rinse off. I can't stand the mixture of water and toothpaste.

Whenever I run into stinky people, I ask them if they didnt shower. This puts guilt on them and they will go home and shower.

I believe that stinky people are the cause of global warming. Oh, and people with bad breathe. I have puked on many occasions from the combination of the both. Retched I tell you, retched.

MotoH said:
When I brush my teethies in the morning and at night, I will put the toothpaste on the toothbrush, brush my teethies, and then rinse off. I can't stand the mixture of water and toothpaste.

Whenever I run into stinky people, I ask them if they didnt shower. This puts guilt on them and they will go home and shower.

I believe that stinky people are the cause of global warming. Oh, and people with bad breathe. I have puked on many occasions from the combination of the both. Retched I tell you, retched.

Was this a trolling post?

xxChrisxx said:
Was this a trolling post?
See post 90.

DaveC426913 said:
See post 90.

Very droll.

DaveC426913 said:

How come everything is an argument with you?

Your original respose was droll. A subtle yet witty responce pointing out the irony of me accusing you of not getting the joke only for me to do the same thing a few posts later. I laughed, as I enjoy irony. It was a compliment.

This second response has ruined the subtle humour of the previous comment you made, and now simply makes you look entirely humourless. It infact makes you look like a smug bastard, as though you've won a cheap little victory which you are now getting jollies over.

Well done Captain Buzzkill.

Quite how you got the humour award i'll never know. This is the equivilant of telling an amazing joke, then tryign to follow it up and murdering all the laughter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now you've done it chris. I found daves last post extremely funny because it labeled your post perfectly. Now you go on a tirade and ruin any fun that was left in this hollowed out shell of a thread. You are the black hole of humor chris. Why must you ruin the fun?

This thread is a joke.

xxChrisxx said:
How come everything is an argument with you?

Your original respose was droll. A subtle yet witty responce pointing out the irony of me accusing you of not getting the joke only for me to do the same thing a few posts later. I laughed, as I enjoy irony. It was a compliment.

This second response has ruined the subtle humour of the previous comment you made, and now simply makes you look entirely humourless. It infact makes you look like a smug bastard, as though you've won a cheap little victory which you are now getting jollies over.

Well done Captain Buzzkill.

Quite how you got the humour award i'll never know. This is the equivilant of telling an amazing joke, then tryign to follow it up and murdering all the laughter.
I sense that see post #90 isn't going to work this time...*

We are both suffering the same thing: not being able to see the wry smile on each others' face. Droll is usually a put-down. But I wasn't actually accusing you of commenting in bad faith; I found that awesome Cracked list yesterday and was just dying to use it. Luck was on my side.

Subtle humour is an unforgiving mistress. Sometimes it turns on you.

(Also, I greatly underuse emoticons, contributing to the ambiguity of my tone.)

*:wink:

...oops.

Now I feel bad, and slightly silly.:redface:

EDIT: There should be a rollback function in spacetime, for collossal miscomprehension events like post 99.

Last edited:
xxChrisxx said:
There should be a rollback function in spacetime, for collossal miscomprehension events like post 99.

If Einstein hadn't had the nerve to die on us, I'm sure he would've told us how to do it :biggrin:

as a reminder: after making a joke which could be misinterpreted by another reader, make sure to avoid this by adding "jk, don't get your panties tied in a knot" EVERY time. This shall become protocol.

Mentallic said:
as a reminder: after making a joke which could be misinterpreted by another reader, make sure to avoid this by adding "jk, don't get your panties tied in a knot" EVERY time. This shall become protocol.

If only there were already some sort of method for letting people know the emotional tone of a post... Maybe just an icon. Some sort of emotion-icon. Some sort of ... I don't know... emoticon ...

<h2>1. How often should I shower in a week?</h2><p>The recommended frequency for showering varies depending on personal hygiene needs and lifestyle. Some people may need to shower daily, while others may only need to shower a few times a week. It is important to listen to your body and shower as needed.</p><h2>2. Is it bad to shower every day?</h2><p>Showering every day is not necessarily bad for your health, but it can strip the skin of its natural oils and lead to dryness and irritation. If you have sensitive skin, it may be beneficial to shower every other day or less frequently.</p><h2>3. Can showering too much be harmful?</h2><p>Excessive showering can lead to skin irritation, dryness, and even infections. It can also contribute to water wastage and increase your water bill. It is important to find a balance and shower according to your personal hygiene needs.</p><h2>4. How often should I wash my hair?</h2><p>The frequency of washing your hair depends on your hair type and personal preference. Some people may need to wash their hair every day, while others can go a few days without washing. It is important to use a mild shampoo and conditioner and avoid over-washing, as it can strip the hair of its natural oils.</p><h2>5. Is it better to shower in the morning or at night?</h2><p>There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on personal preference. Showering in the morning can help you feel refreshed and ready for the day, while showering at night can help you relax and sleep better. It is important to shower whenever it fits into your daily routine and helps you maintain good hygiene.</p>

1. How often should I shower in a week?

The recommended frequency for showering varies depending on personal hygiene needs and lifestyle. Some people may need to shower daily, while others may only need to shower a few times a week. It is important to listen to your body and shower as needed.

2. Is it bad to shower every day?

Showering every day is not necessarily bad for your health, but it can strip the skin of its natural oils and lead to dryness and irritation. If you have sensitive skin, it may be beneficial to shower every other day or less frequently.

3. Can showering too much be harmful?

Excessive showering can lead to skin irritation, dryness, and even infections. It can also contribute to water wastage and increase your water bill. It is important to find a balance and shower according to your personal hygiene needs.

4. How often should I wash my hair?

The frequency of washing your hair depends on your hair type and personal preference. Some people may need to wash their hair every day, while others can go a few days without washing. It is important to use a mild shampoo and conditioner and avoid over-washing, as it can strip the hair of its natural oils.

5. Is it better to shower in the morning or at night?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question, as it ultimately depends on personal preference. Showering in the morning can help you feel refreshed and ready for the day, while showering at night can help you relax and sleep better. It is important to shower whenever it fits into your daily routine and helps you maintain good hygiene.