How many words of length n are there in this regular language?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
SashaRulez
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


I am self studying automata theory and I found a problem set from an old class I took a few years ago, but I have no clue how to solve the following problem, any help would be appreciated.Suppose we have a regular language ##L \subseteq \{0,1\}^*## and the language ## \mathbf{S} = \{uu: u\in \{0,1\}^*\}## is a subset of ##L##. Clearly for even ##n## there are at least ##2^{n/2}## words of length ##n## in ##L##. How would I show that there are at least ##a2^n## length ##n## binary words in ##L##, for infinitely many ##n##, without using the Myhill-Nerode theorem? Where ##a## is some constant that can depend on ##L##.

The Attempt at a Solution


Clearly ##\mathbf{S}## is non-regular, so there must be more length ##n## words accepted, but I am not sure how to get ##\Theta(2^n)## length ##n## words. Somehow one has to use the regularity of ##L##, so maybe take its finite automaton, and relate the number of words to states/transitions? I don't see a way to proceed.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
SashaRulez said:

Homework Statement


I am self studying automata theory and I found a problem set from an old class I took a few years ago, but I have no clue how to solve the following problem, any help would be appreciated.Suppose we have a regular language ##L \subseteq \{0,1\}^*## and the language ## \mathbf{S} = \{uu: u\in \{0,1\}^*\}## is a subset of ##L##. Clearly for even ##n## there are at least ##2^{n/2}## words of length ##n## in ##L##.
Wait. L is a subset of ##\{0,1\}^*##, not necessarily equal to the whole thing. For all we know, L could be the empty language. Similarly, S could be the empty language. There need be no more than zero words of length n for any given n.

Regardless of n, 0 < 2^n and it would seem that the obvious claim is falsified.

There is an obvious choice of "a" that makes for an easy solution to the problem as stated.