1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much does an ME actually use Chemistry?

1. Apr 23, 2010 #1
    I'm kind of afraid of the answer that I might get here, but maybe if I know I can just face it and get through it. I'm having a pretty tough time in my current Chem class. I usually eventually figure it out, but it takes more work at it than, say my Algebra classes. I know I am going to have to take at least another Chem and then courses such as thermodynamics, but I am just wanting to know how much Chem is carried over into real world situations with ME. I realize it's a lot of "applied math" like a lot of engineering, and that makes me a little nervous because of the trouble I am having wrapping my head around some of the problems. Idk, it's pretty disheartening, but I usually find my way through it and have a B so far (last exam next week and finals in two weeks so a lot can change). Anyways, I am just looking for a little advice. I have enjoyed all of my math classes this semester, but I have pretty much hated every moment in Chem. Thanks!
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 24, 2010 #2
    It totally depends. ME is such a broad field. You will probably use chem in a materials course too. In the real world though, it's impossible to say. It's definitely possible to get by without using much chem, but you'll still need to keep in mind the chemical properties of whatever materials you're working with.
  4. Apr 26, 2010 #3
    Thanks so much for the help!
  5. Apr 26, 2010 #4
    as mentioned, it varies quite a bit. I'm just finishing a materials science class that uses a number of basic chemistry principles. Like you mentioned, thermodynamics uses quite a bit of chem too. But the bottom line is I wouldn't take that as a detriment. As long as you have a decent grasp on basic chemistry ideas, you should be fine in ME.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook