Why do people say chemistry is hard?

In summary, the conversation discusses the fear and difficulty surrounding taking Chemistry courses, with one person expressing concern about remembering complex names and reactions. However, others in the conversation mention that Chemistry can be enjoyable and that success is based on effort and study. They also share their favorite experiments, including making soap and testing for carbon dioxide, as well as more advanced experiments involving sulfuric acid and potassium permanganate. Overall, the conversation emphasizes that success in Chemistry is achievable with effort and that everyone has different strengths and interests.
Y.E.T.I.
I have to take chem I and chem II this summer because I switched to geoscience. I'm worried because everyone tells me its too hard to pass, and it kinda scares me, although I know not to rely on other people's fears to conclude how hard a class is. I finished all my finals this semester, got C in physics I, and at least A's in my two astronomies, and I'm waiting on calc. Physics was tough but doable, so is Chemistry along the lines of the difficulty level in physics? I made an A in high school chemistry but I had to study all the time for that class, I just hope I can do it this time around.

Likes Mastermind01 and James Holland
Physics news on Phys.org
because u need to remember all the complex names of elements and chemicals and the reactions. what turns what colour and what is what used for what. why is it good why is it bad and so on

because some people are good at differint things

Likes billy_joule and James Holland
Y.E.T.I. said:
I have to take chem I and chem II this summer because I switched to geoscience. I'm worried because everyone tells me its too hard to pass, and it kinda scares me, although I know not to rely on other people's fears to conclude how hard a class is. I finished all my finals this semester, got C in physics I, and at least A's in my two astronomies, and I'm waiting on calc. Physics was tough but doable, so is Chemistry along the lines of the difficulty level in physics? I made an A in high school chemistry but I had to study all the time for that class, I just hope I can do it this time around.
People who don't do well studying X will always say X is hard. That's to be expected.

Some people, however, do well studying chemistry. Some of these people we call chemists. You get out of studying what you put into it.

Likes billy_joule, symbolipoint, ProfuselyQuarky and 1 other person
SteamKing said:
People who don't do well studying X will always say X is hard. That's to be expected.

Some people, however, do well studying chemistry. Some of these people we call chemists. You get out of studying what you put into it.
I know, I just worry about it because they all say that its too easy to fail it. I don't mind studying, that's expected, so I guess I could make it if I just study. I'm glad they're different sessions and not concurrent with each other!

Likes James Holland
Up through high school I liked chemistry and physics about equally. Then when I got to college I decided to major in physics so I wouldn't have to memorize as much stuff. :cool:

(That, and Maxwell's equations blew my mind!)

Likes ProfuselyQuarky and James Holland
I really liked physics and was in that before geoscience but I just wasn't cut out for it. I do like rocks though, and I'm decent with that, so the change isn't too bad!

Likes atyy and James Holland
that rocks

Likes member 587159, atyy and Y.E.T.I.
Everybody I know who doesn’t like chemistry thinks chemistry is hard. It’s the cloud of a course that has this reputation for being difficult (and perhaps some teachers really do make the class this way), but chemistry is not that hard.

Most of the math is not that advanced … and you get to use Bunsen burners :biggrin:

I love chemistry. Don't be afraid. It's beautiful :oldlove:

Likes James Holland
i too love chemistry as playing with fire and explosives is fun without doubt.

James Holland said:
i too love chemistry as playing with fire and explosives is fun without doubt.
Not everything about chemistry has to do with fire or something dramatic and loud--those are never the experiments taught in a basic chemistry class, anyway. I find the most subtle reactions to be the most delightful.

Likes atyy and James Holland
true last lesson we made soap this was fun but grew tedious quite soon.

Chem I & II classes should be very doable for the average (geoscience) student, assuming you have the right background. They probably will be fun, though lab work may take a lot of time.

Chemistry gets difficult when you have to do physical chemistry or memorize a crazy amount of organic chemistry reaction mechanisms. Molecular orbitals of the metal atoms in rocks, that's crazy stuff.

In my experience chemistry is hard at first but if you're smart and disciplined you can handle it pretty easily. A lot of chemistry in my opinion comes down to memorizing the rules of what reacts with what.

Likes James Holland
also it isn't always entirely you skill and ability that counts. if you are doing a practical with a partner and you have a useless partner it will be bad for you and put you in an awful position to succeed. as one basic practical can cost you several percent in an exam.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
Not everything about chemistry has to do with fire or something dramatic and loud--those are never the experiments taught in a basic chemistry class, anyway. I find the most subtle reactions to be the most delightful.

What are some examples of these subtle reactions?

Likes James Holland
atyy said:
making soap
testing for carbon dioxide
learning the properties of graphite

atyy said:
My favorite:
Sulfuric acid, a bit of concentrated hydrogen peroxide, and some warm water into a glass or beaker. If you pour potassium permanganate into the mixture, you can see the purple liquid enter the glass, the then the color instantly disappears. No matter, how much you pour, the solution won't become purple. The manganese in the permanganate reacts with the peroxide and loses it's oxygen (seen as bubbles), leaving only manganese ions, which is colorless. Thus, you get to see the original solution react to become a different solution right before your eyes in a, what I think, a very entertaining way.

And then, of course, I like the classic traffic lights reaction as well as the rising of yeast for bread :)

Likes Delong and James Holland
as i said some people are good at differint things

and again sorry about my spelling

ProfuselyQuarky said:
My favorite:
Sulfuric acid, a bit of concentrated hydrogen peroxide, and some warm water into a glass or beaker. If you pour potassium permanganate into the mixture, you can see the purple liquid enter the glass, the then the color instantly disappears. No matter, how much you pour, the solution won't become purple. The manganese in the permanganate reacts with the peroxide and loses it's oxygen (seen as bubbles), leaving only manganese ions, which is colorless. Thus, you get to see the original solution react to become a different solution right before your eyes in a, what I think, a very entertaining way.

And then, of course, I like the classic traffic lights reaction as well as the rising of yeast for bread :)

Wow, you're clearly very passionate about chemistry!

micromass said:
Wow, you're clearly very passionate about chemistry!
I love it so much it's probably unhealthy.

ProfuselyQuarky said:
I love it so much it's probably unhealthy.

Famous last words

Chemistry teacher: And if you combine the base and the acid just right, you
can safely drink it.

Enjoy: https://jcdverha.home.xs4all.nl/scijokes/3.html

Likes ProfuselyQuarky
SteamKing said:
...You get out of studying what you put into it.
Uh, in this case, I'm not so sure. What I got out of chemistry was a headache and I'm pretty sure that's not what I put in :smile:

Likes ProfuselyQuarky

1. Why do people say chemistry is hard?

People often find chemistry to be a difficult subject because it involves learning complex concepts and memorizing large amounts of information. It also requires critical thinking skills and the ability to apply mathematical principles, which can be challenging for some individuals.

2. Is it true that chemistry is harder than other sciences?

This is a subjective question, as some people may find chemistry to be more difficult than other sciences while others may find it easier. However, chemistry does have a reputation for being a challenging subject due to its abstract nature and the amount of material that needs to be understood.

3. What makes chemistry so difficult to understand?

Chemistry deals with the structure, behavior, and properties of matter at the atomic and molecular level, which can be difficult to visualize and comprehend. It also requires a strong foundation in math and problem-solving skills, which can be daunting for some students.

4. Are there any tips for making chemistry easier to learn?

Yes, there are several tips that can make learning chemistry easier. These include breaking down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable pieces, practicing regularly and seeking help from a tutor or teacher when needed, and using visual aids such as diagrams and models to aid understanding.

5. Is it possible for anyone to learn and understand chemistry?

Yes, with dedication and hard work, anyone can learn and understand chemistry. It may come more easily to some individuals, but with the right mindset and approach, anyone can overcome the challenges and succeed in this subject.