How much embedded programming in control/signal processing?

In summary, the conversation discussed the involvement of embedded software and programming in the fields of control and signal processing. The speaker mentioned their fear of embedded systems and asked about the level of involvement in control and signal processing projects. The other speaker, an expert in the field, shared their experience and stated that embedded programming is prevalent in control projects, while signal processing projects may involve both analog and digital design. They also mentioned using C or C++ and an RTOS in their work, including tasks such as implementing control algorithms and writing device drivers. They reassured the speaker that knowledge of RTOSes and threads is not something to be scared of, and shared their experience working with FPGAs in hardware interface support. Overall, the conversation provided insight
walk_w/o_aim
Hey there,

(I apologize if this is in the wrong section - please move it if it is)

I'm an EE undergrad, and I'm wondering how much embedded software/programming is involved in fields like control and signal processing. To be a bit more specific, by "embedded software," I'm referring to things such as programming microcontrollers/FPGAs, dealing with embedded/real-time OS, and writing device drivers.

I realize that embedded systems are so prevalent that it may be impossible to go into any area of EE without encountering them in some fashion, but I'd like to avoid dealing with them too frequently if at all possible. I can't really decide which among control, signal processing and analog electronics I find more interesting, while embedded systems has always scared me. Anyway, that's just an aside.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I do control and signal processing design work (mainly embedded programming!) so here is my experience on the subject:

I doubt you will find any control projects that don't use embedded programming in some form.

Signal processing is more hybrid as most designs will have analog and digital portions (with some being strictly analog). There is definatley more room to do analog design work in this field.

Hey Floid,

Thanks for replying. If you don't mind me asking a few other questions, what sort of embedded programming do you mostly do in your control projects? For instance, is the work mostly implementing control algorithms, or is it more along the lines of writing device drivers? How important, for example, is a knowledge of (RT)OS concepts and kernels?

Thanks again!

Usually I don't have to do the real low level device driver code, but I have had to do that before as well so that isn't a given.

Generally the controls projects are written in C or C++ and use some type of low level RTOS. The last one I did used Analog Devices DSPs and they have their own RTOS that is free called Visual DSP++ Kernel.

The code that was involved in that project:

Digital filters
A PID controller
Network interfaces (pretty basic, nothing fancy)
Self test code
System test code (monotored system dynamics to make sure there wasn't a problem)

For the coding: The controller itself is easy to write (as are the digital filters). Tuning those to work together to get the best results is the harder part.

Don't be scared by RTOSes, threads, etc. For a system like the one above the filters and PID controller need threads of different priorities to make sure everything gets run periodically and at the correct rates. Sometimes that takes some juggling, head scratching, and optimization... but that is part of engineering.

I have never actually done an entire control design in an FPGA though it is definitely possible (especially the ones with embedded processors). Usually my FPGA work has been as part of a CCA design where the FPGA does hardware interface support (like if you were designing a PCI card that had a bunch of A/D converters on it the FPGA would implement the PCI bridge and control all the A/D converters).

Hey,

Thanks for the info, Floid. That was very helpful. Embedded stuff still scares me, but at least I'll be able to make an informed decision in picking my concentration. Thanks! :)

1. How important is embedded programming in control and signal processing?

Embedded programming plays a crucial role in control and signal processing systems as it allows for real-time data processing and control of physical devices. Without proper programming, these systems would not be able to function effectively.

2. What are the key skills needed for effective embedded programming in control and signal processing?

Some key skills needed for effective embedded programming in control and signal processing include a strong understanding of programming languages such as C and assembly, knowledge of microcontrollers and microprocessors, and an understanding of electrical and electronic systems.

3. How does embedded programming differ from other types of programming?

Embedded programming differs from other types of programming in that it is specifically tailored for use in small, low-power devices and systems. This type of programming often requires knowledge of hardware and low-level programming techniques.

4. Can embedded programming be learned without prior knowledge of control and signal processing?

While prior knowledge of control and signal processing can be helpful, it is not a requirement for learning embedded programming. However, a strong foundation in programming languages and hardware is necessary for success in this field.

5. What are some common applications of embedded programming in control and signal processing?

Embedded programming is used in a wide range of applications, including industrial automation, robotics, medical devices, and consumer electronics. It is also commonly used in automotive systems, such as engine control units and anti-lock braking systems.