How much energy in microjoules is stored in the capacitor

In summary, the energy stored in the capacitor at t = 500 microsec is 11.06 joules, and at t = infinite it is infinite. The formula for the energy stored on a capacitor is given by C = (epsilon * A) / d, where epsilon is a constant, A is the area of the plate, and d is the distance between the plates. The formula for energy in terms of voltage is Q = C * dV/dt, and the formula for energy in terms of charge is w = 1/2 * C * V^2. To find the total charge or voltage on the capacitor, you can use the given curve and work symbolically. The tangent to a current versus time curve
ME_student

Homework Statement

a) How much energy in microjoules is stored in the capacitor at t=500 micro sec
b) Repeat (a) for t=infinite

Homework Equations

Will be on attachment

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to approach the problem.. The graph shown is a graph of amps respect to time. So the tangent line to the function curve is joules?

Attachments

• img150.pdf
    79.6 KB · Views: 364
Physics news on Phys.org
The tangent to a current versus time curve would be ΔI/Δt, or di/dt. That's not energy.

What's a formula for the energy stored on a capacitor? You should know one in terms of voltage and another in terms of charge (Coulombs). How might you find the total charge or voltage on the capacitor from the given curve? Note that you also have the formula for the curve, so you can work the problem symbolically.

Energy stored on a capacitor is given by C=(epsilon*A)/(d)

Epsilon is a constat
A is the area of the plate
d is the distance between the plates

the equation with voltage is Q=C*dv/dt

I am currently working on the problem. I am trying to understand what the tangent to the graph or the total area underneath a graph represents when you have a graph that may have voltage respect to resistance, power respect to resistance, current respect to time, etc.

I said Q=integral of 50e^-2000t with limits of integration of 0 to 500microsec. I get 0.015803mA then I used C=Q/v to get volate. After that I use w=1/2(CV^2)

But I don't get the correct answer.

Last edited:
ME_student said:
Energy stored on a capacitor is given by C=(epsilon*A)/(d)

Epsilon is a constat
A is the area of the plate
d is the distance between the plates
You seem to be having some difficulty distinguishing the units of various electrical quantities. The above formula yields C, the Capacitance of the capacitor, not the energy. Energy has the units Joules.
the equation with voltage is Q=C*dv/dt
And that's an expression for the current (I in amps) , or rate of change of change charge (Coulombs) on the capacitor.

ME_student said:
I am currently working on the problem. I am trying to understand what the tangent to the graph or the total area underneath a graph represents when you have a graph that may have voltage respect to resistance, power respect to resistance, current respect to time, etc.
If you integrate current over time what do you get? Remember that current is the rate of flow of charge, or dQ/dt. That means the area under the curve represents...?

ME_student said:
I said Q=integral of 50e^-2000t with limits of integration of 0 to 500microsec. I get 0.015803mA then I used C=Q/v to get volate. After that I use w=1/2(CV^2)

But I don't get the correct answer.
Okay, that method is correct, but your value for charge Q is not correct and the units will not be current (mA) but Coulombs (C). Can you show more detail for your integration steps?

I got it figured out... I used V(t)=1/C integral i dT+V(0) I got 11.06v and then used w=1/2*CV^2 to find energy

1. How do you calculate the energy stored in a capacitor in microjoules?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be calculated using the equation E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

2. What is the difference between energy stored in joules and energy stored in microjoules?

Energy stored in joules is a larger unit of measurement compared to energy stored in microjoules. 1 microjoule is equal to 0.000001 joules. Microjoules are typically used to measure small amounts of energy, such as in capacitors.

3. How do you convert energy stored in joules to microjoules?

To convert energy stored in joules to microjoules, you can multiply the number of joules by 1,000,000. For example, 0.00005 joules would be equivalent to 50 microjoules.

4. Why is it important to know the energy stored in a capacitor in microjoules?

The energy stored in a capacitor in microjoules is important because it determines the capacitor's ability to store and release electrical energy. Knowing the energy stored can also help in designing and choosing the right capacitor for a specific application.

5. How can you measure the energy stored in a capacitor in microjoules?

The energy stored in a capacitor can be measured using a multimeter or a dedicated capacitor tester. These devices can measure the voltage and capacitance of the capacitor, which can then be used to calculate the energy stored using the equation E = 1/2 * C * V^2.