Energy Stored in Capacitor at t=870μs: Calculations & Answers

In summary, the initial voltage on the 0.5 microF capacitor is -20 V and the capacitor current has a waveform shown in the figure. The question asks for the energy stored in the capacitor at t = 870 microseconds, which can be calculated using the equation w(t) = 1/2cv^2. The integral provided in the conversation calculates the change in voltage, but the question is asking for the energy stored, so the answer would not be w(870 microseconds) - w(0 seconds).
carpaltunnel

Homework Statement

The initial voltage on the 0.5 microF capacitor shown in the figure is -20 V. the capacitor current has the waveform shown in the figure. https://i.imgur.com/P8jwI7s.jpg?1

How much energy is stored in the capacitor at t = 870 micro seconds.

Homework Equations

v(t) = 1/c * integral from t to t0 i dtao + v(t0) EDIT: "integral from t to t0" is a definite integral with t on the top and t0 on the bottom
w(t) = 1/2cv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

got v(t) = 50*e^-2000t + 30

after plugging into w(t) tested the following answers:

https://imgur.com/3P8ipf4

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your integral calculated the change in voltage (except, you have a sign error) How does that relate to the change in energy?

"from t to t0" is admittedly ambiguous but i mean that t is on the top of the definite integral and t0 is on the bottom. voltage relates to energy by the equation w(t) = 1/2cv^2. i plugged in my equation for v(t) and the time as 870 microseconds. please let me know what else is unclear/wrong. thank you for your reply.

carpaltunnel said:
got v(t) = 50*e^-2000t + 30
What does that give for t=0?
carpaltunnel said:
voltage relates to energy by the equation w(t) = 1/2cv^2.
But that's different from change in voltage and change in energy.

"what does that give for t=0?"

80 volts. what are you implying?

"but that's different from change in voltage and change in energy"

what are you implying? the expressions for v(t) and w(t) i have provided are the capacitor voltage and energy stored in a capacitor, respectively, at a particular instance for a time. i don't think the answer is w(870 microseconds) - w(0 seconds). please let me know if i am wrong. thank you for your reply.

carpaltunnel said:
80 volts.
But:
carpaltunnel said:
The initial voltage on the 0.5 microF capacitor shown in the figure is -20 V.

carpaltunnel said:
i don't think the answer is w(870 microseconds) - w(0 seconds)
Yes, you're right, I misread the question.

1. How is the energy stored in a capacitor calculated?

The energy stored in a capacitor is calculated using the formula E = 1/2 * C * V^2, where E is the energy in joules, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage in volts.

2. What is the unit of measurement for energy stored in a capacitor?

The unit of measurement for energy stored in a capacitor is joules (J).

3. How do you calculate the capacitance of a capacitor?

The capacitance of a capacitor is calculated using the formula C = Q/V, where C is the capacitance in farads, Q is the charge in coulombs, and V is the voltage in volts.

4. What is the voltage of a capacitor at t=870μs?

The voltage of a capacitor at t=870μs can be calculated using the formula V = V0 * (1 - e^(-t/RC)), where V0 is the initial voltage, t is the time in seconds, R is the resistance in ohms, and C is the capacitance in farads.

5. How does the energy stored in a capacitor change over time?

The energy stored in a capacitor decreases over time as the capacitor discharges. The rate of discharge is determined by the capacitance, voltage, and resistance of the circuit.