Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much energy is consumed in reality in steam compression?

1. May 6, 2014 #1
    I want to know how much energy REAL steam compressors consume in compressing steam @ 1 kg/sec from 2.56 kPa to 1 bar. Theoretically (with `100% efficiency) it's 141 kW for making 1 kg/sec steam flow assuming that the temperature doesn't decrease due to loss of heat as latent heat of vaporization.
    Can anybody help me?

2. jcsd
  3. May 10, 2014 #2
    In reality, in a Rankine cycle, steam isn't compressed due to the fact that it requires quite a lot of energy to "pump" a compressible gas such as steam to a higher pressure. In reality, the steam is condensed to water condensate which is subsequently pumped up to the boilers working pressure. The energy required to do this is usually negligible.

I know that doesn't answer your question but I just wanted to clear up any possible misunderstanding.

4. May 10, 2014 #3
    I don't want to know about Rankine Cycle. Steam compressors are available in reality. I just want to know much energy a REAL steam compressor consumes during the compression operation as I have mentioned in my query. Theoretically it's 141 kW for making 1 kg/sec steam flow (with 100% efficiency).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook