How much energy is dissipated in the first bounce?

In summary, the basketball's potential energy was 9.604 j and its kinetic energy was 0 at the moment it hit the ground and 3.3 after the first bounce
emily081715

Homework Statement

A 0.70-kg basketball dropped on a hardwood floor rises back up to 66 % of its original height. If the basketball is dropped from a height of 1.4 m , how much energy is dissipated in the first bounce?

Homework Equations

U=mgy

The Attempt at a Solution

U=(0.70)(9.8)(1.4)
=9.604 J
i'm not sure where the error is

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the potential energy that the basketball started with. How much total energy did the basketball start with?

Now, can you tell how much energy the basketball had after the first bounce?

olivermsun said:
That's the potential energy that the basketball started with. How much total energy did the basketball start with?

Now, can you tell how much energy the basketball had after the first bounce?
how do i find how much energy it starts with, i thought that would be the potential energy? would i need to find energy by adding potential and kinetic, cause if so, i don't have a speed

Typically in these problems if they say the ball was "dropped" they mean it was just released with 0 initial speed.

So what about the info you are given regarding the energy after the first bounce?

olivermsun said:
Typically in these problems if they say the ball was "dropped" they mean it was just released with 0 initial speed.

So what about the info you are given regarding the energy after the first bounce?
wouldn't i still need the final energy to calculate the kinetic energy of the first bounce? after the bounce is 66% of the original height so 0.924m

You have the max height after the first bounce, so that tells you the potential energy. What is the kinetic energy at the very moment that the max height is achieved?

olivermsun said:
You have the max height after the first bounce, so that tells you the potential energy. What is the kinetic energy at the very moment that the max height is achieved?
0?

Sure, so you have all the information you need.

olivermsun said:
Sure, so you have all the information you need.
how?

emily081715 said:
how?
do i just subtract potential energies from the start and the max of second bounce

This part I leave to you to consider. :wink:

emily081715 said:
do i just subtract potential energies from the start and the max of second bounce
the answer is 3.3 thanks for walking me through

1. How is energy dissipated in the first bounce?

In the first bounce, energy is dissipated through the conversion of potential energy into kinetic energy. As the object falls towards the surface, potential energy is converted into kinetic energy. When the object collides with the surface, kinetic energy is dissipated as heat, sound, and deformation of the object.

2. What factors affect the amount of energy dissipated in the first bounce?

The amount of energy dissipated in the first bounce can be affected by several factors such as the material and shape of the object, the surface it bounces on, the height from which it is dropped, and the force with which it hits the surface.

3. Is all the energy converted into heat in the first bounce?

No, not all of the energy is converted into heat in the first bounce. Some of the energy is also dissipated as sound and deformation of the object. However, heat is the most common form of energy dissipation in the first bounce.

4. Can we calculate the exact amount of energy dissipated in the first bounce?

It is difficult to calculate the exact amount of energy dissipated in the first bounce as it depends on various factors. However, we can use the law of conservation of energy to estimate the amount of energy that is converted into different forms during the first bounce.

5. Does the amount of energy dissipated in the first bounce remain constant?

No, the amount of energy dissipated in the first bounce does not remain constant. It can vary depending on the factors mentioned above. For example, a softer surface will absorb more energy, resulting in less energy being dissipated as heat.