1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with Energy Dissipation

Tags:
  1. Apr 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 4.70-kg steel ball is dropped from a height of 11.0 m into a box of sand and sinks 0.500 m into the sand before stopping. How much energy is dissipated through the interaction with the sand? Express answer using three significant digits.
    2. Relevant equations
    Potential Energy = mhg
    Mechanical Energy = (1/2)mv^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I thought that the energy dissipated would be equal to the potential energy at the start of the problem. So I found the initial potential energy with the equation mgh = (4.7)(11)(9.8) = 507 However, I submitted this answer and the program said it was incorrect.

2. jcsd
  3. May 1, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hello. Welcome to PF!

What is the total distance the ball travels vertically?

4. May 1, 2017 #3
    I guess it falls 11.5 m including the distance in the sand. Do I include the distance in the sand?

5. May 1, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Is there any change in gravitational potential energy when the ball moves 0.5 m downward in the sand?

6. May 1, 2017 #5
    Yeah there is. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your help!

7. May 1, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. Hope it works out now.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted