Problem with Energy Dissipation

In summary, a 4.70-kg steel ball is dropped from a height of 11.0 m into a box of sand and sinks 0.500 m into the sand before stopping. The energy dissipated through the interaction with the sand can be found by calculating the change in gravitational potential energy, which is equal to the initial potential energy. However, this answer was incorrect and after further discussion, it was determined that the total distance the ball travels vertically is 11.5 m and there is a change in gravitational potential energy when the ball moves 0.5 m downward in the sand. The correct answer should be expressed using three significant digits.
sojo

Homework Statement

A 4.70-kg steel ball is dropped from a height of 11.0 m into a box of sand and sinks 0.500 m into the sand before stopping. How much energy is dissipated through the interaction with the sand? Express answer using three significant digits.

Homework Equations

Potential Energy = mhg
Mechanical Energy = (1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that the energy dissipated would be equal to the potential energy at the start of the problem. So I found the initial potential energy with the equation mgh = (4.7)(11)(9.8) = 507 However, I submitted this answer and the program said it was incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello. Welcome to PF!

What is the total distance the ball travels vertically?

Likes sojo
I guess it falls 11.5 m including the distance in the sand. Do I include the distance in the sand?

Is there any change in gravitational potential energy when the ball moves 0.5 m downward in the sand?

Likes sojo
Yeah there is. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for your help!

OK. Hope it works out now.

What is energy dissipation?

Energy dissipation is the process of converting energy from one form to another, usually resulting in the loss of some of the original energy. This can occur through various mechanisms, such as friction, heat transfer, or electrical resistance.

Why is energy dissipation a problem?

Energy dissipation is a problem because it leads to a decrease in the efficiency of energy usage. When energy is lost during conversion, it means that more energy must be put into a system to achieve the desired result. This can result in higher costs and waste of resources.

What are some real-world examples of energy dissipation?

Some common examples of energy dissipation include the heat generated when brakes are applied in a car, the loss of electricity due to resistance in wires, and the heat produced when rubbing your hands together.

How can we reduce energy dissipation?

There are several ways to reduce energy dissipation, including using more efficient technologies, minimizing friction and resistance, and implementing energy-saving practices such as turning off lights and unplugging electronics when not in use.

What are the implications of energy dissipation on the environment?

Energy dissipation can have negative impacts on the environment, such as contributing to global warming and climate change. When energy is lost during conversion, more energy must be produced, often from non-renewable sources, which can lead to increased carbon emissions and other environmental consequences.