How much energy is released in the explosion?

In summary, a 20.0-kg particle is shot horizontally with an initial speed of 10 m/s at a height of 100 m above the ground and explodes into identical fragments at an angle of 35° below the horizontal. Neglecting the effect of gravitational force during the explosion, the resulting vertical and horizontal velocities of the fragments can be found using conservation of momentum. The kinetic energy released in the explosion can be calculated using the equation (0.5*m/2*Vfy^2+0.5*m/2*Vfx^2)-0.5*m*(sqrt(Vix^2+Viy^2))^2, where Vfy = 14 m/s, Vfx = 20 m
Lord Dark

Homework Statement

A 20.0–kg particle is shot horizontally with an initial speed v0 = 10 m/s at a height of
100 m above the ground level (see figure). The particle explodes into identical fragments
when its velocity makes an angle of 35° below the horizontal. Immediately after the
explosion, one fragment moves down vertically; while the other fragment moves initially
horizontally. (Neglect the effect of gravitational force during the explosion).

a) How much energy is released in the explosion?
b) At what times will the two fragments reach the ground?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I didn't reach to the answers yet ,, i just got Vy at angle (35) and it's Vy=7 m/s and i don't know what else to do ,, any ideas ??

Attachments

• Q4.JPG
    Q4.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 405
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show how you got your Vy?

If the Vx = 10 and sinθ =.574 wouldn't Vy need to be 5.74 m/s?

That should allow you to figure the height above the ground the block would be at explosion.

Since momentum will be conserved in both directions then you can figure the resulting velocities of the two pieces. Armed with the velocities then you can let the kinetic energy tell you how much it changed. And let kinematics tell you when they each arrived at the ground.

LowlyPion said:
Can you show how you got your Vy?

If the Vx = 10 and sinθ =.574 wouldn't Vy need to be 5.74 m/s?

Vxcos(35)=10 , Vysin(35)=?? >> tan(35)=Vy/Vx .. Vy=7 m/s is it wrong ?

another question ,, after i get Vx and Vy at angle (35) i do the following right ? :
VyM=VyM/2 ,, VxM=VxM/2 then I'll get the velocities of the fragment then I'll get the time right ?

Last edited:
Lord Dark said:
Vxcos(35)=10 , Vysin(35)=?? >> tan(35)=Vy/Vx .. Vy=7 m/s is it wrong ?

and btw it's shot horizontally so if Vy=Vosin(35) then Vx=Vocos(35) ?? i know that Vx don't change if there are no forces on the object...

another question ,, after i get Vx and Vy at angle (35) i do the following right ? :
VyM=VyM/2 ,, VxM=VxM/2 then I'll get the velocities of the fragment then I'll get the time right ?

Sorry you're right it is Tan35. I grabbed the wrong hippopotamus.

Lord Dark said:

For the conservation of momentum, I think you want to consider the x,z separately. You already have the initial x,y velocities.

So yes the velocities will each apparently be doubled as you suggest.

LowlyPion said:
For the conservation of momentum, I think you want to consider the x,z separately. You already have the initial x,y velocities.

you mean x,y ?? because from 1 piece to 2 fragments and one will fall vertically and the second horizontally ,, so i think VyM=vyM/2 , VxM=vxM/2 i'll get the vertical and horizontal velocity of the fragments right ?
vy=14 m/s
vx=20 m/s
and i get Y(where the fragments explode)=2.5 m is this right ? or i should subtract 2.5 from 100 ?
and BTW about kinetic energy should I use this equation:
((0.5*M/2*Vfy^2)+(0.5*M/2*Vfx^2))-(0.5*M*Vix^2)
or
i should get Vf (sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)) and sum the mass so it'll be like this :
(0.5*M*Vf^2)-(0.5*M*Vi^2)

PS:i gt the kinetic energy = 1980 J and Ty=3.255s and Tx=4.461 ,, are my answers right or wrong ?

Last edited:
Lord Dark said:
you mean x,y ?? because from 1 piece to 2 fragments and one will fall vertically and the second horizontally ,, so i think VyM=vyM/2 , VxM=vxM/2 i'll get the vertical and horizontal velocity of the fragments right ?
vy=14 m/s
vx=20 m/s
and i get Y(where the fragments explode)=2.5 m is this right ? or i should subtract 2.5 from 100 ?
and BTW about kinetic energy should I use this equation:
((0.5*M/2*Vfy^2)+(0.5*M/2*Vfx^2))-(0.5*M*Vix^2)
or
i should get Vf (sqrt(Vx^2+Vy^2)) and sum the mass so it'll be like this :
(0.5*M*Vf^2)-(0.5*M*Vi^2)

Your first kinetic energy difference looks right.

Yes, y looks like 97.5 m. Then you need to solve the two equations

97.5 = 14*t + 1/2*g*t2

and

97.5 = 1/2*g*t2

Lord Dark said:
PS:i gt the kinetic energy = 1980 J and Ty=3.255s and Tx=4.461 ,, are my answers right or wrong ?

The easy one to calculate is what I get. I'll suppose you can handled the quadratic OK, because it is less.

Kinetic energy looks ok too.

about the kinetic energy ,, my friend told me i should use the following equation:
(0.5*M/2*Vfy^2+0.5*M/2*Vfx^2)-0.5*M*(sqrt(Vix^2+Viy^2))^2
where Vfy=14 m/s , Vfx=20 m/s , Viy=7 m/s Vix=10 m/s
and i get from that K=1490J ,, so which one is right me or him ?

and thanks you LowlyPion very much for helping me

Lord Dark said:
about the kinetic energy ,, my friend told me i should use the following equation:
(0.5*M/2*Vfy^2+0.5*M/2*Vfx^2)-0.5*M*(sqrt(Vix^2+Viy^2))^2
where Vfy=14 m/s , Vfx=20 m/s , Viy=7 m/s Vix=10 m/s
and i get from that K=1490J ,, so which one is right me or him ?

and thanks you LowlyPion very much for helping me

He's right. I see you left the additional vertical velocity from gravity out. (Sadly, I missed that and just used your expression.)

lol ,, he's right again (he told me how to get Viy) ,, thanks very much :D
BTW can you check the site regularly until next Monday (the Exam date) i have some questions too ,, anyway ,, thanks :D

1. How is energy released in an explosion?

Energy is released in an explosion through a chemical reaction. When a substance undergoes a rapid and violent chemical reaction, it releases a large amount of energy in the form of heat and light.

2. How is the amount of energy released in an explosion measured?

The amount of energy released in an explosion is measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ). This can be calculated by measuring the mass of the explosive substance and the heat released during the explosion.

3. What factors affect the amount of energy released in an explosion?

The amount of energy released in an explosion depends on the type and amount of explosive material used, the confinement of the explosion, and the efficiency of the reaction. Other factors such as temperature, pressure, and the presence of oxygen can also affect the energy released.

4. Can the energy released in an explosion be controlled?

Yes, the energy released in an explosion can be controlled by varying the amount and type of explosive material, as well as the conditions in which the explosion takes place. This is important in industries such as mining and demolition, where controlled explosions are necessary.

5. How does the energy released in an explosion compare to other sources of energy?

The amount of energy released in an explosion is typically much greater than other sources of energy such as chemical reactions or mechanical processes. However, it is still relatively small compared to nuclear reactions or the energy released by the sun. The energy released in an explosion is also short-lived and dissipates quickly, unlike other sources of energy that can be harnessed for longer periods of time.