How much heat energy is needed to operate a metromelt for one hour?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 4K views
AlanxD
Messages
32
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



Assuming that the snow is -4 degrees celsius and that the water is dumped at +4 degrees celsius, calculate the amount of heat energy required to operate a metromelt for one hour.

Homework Equations



Q=mct
Q=mLf *little f*

The Attempt at a Solution



I couldn't see how i would arrive the answer but i knw the Ti=-4 degrees celsius and Tf=4 degrees celsius and melting point is 0 degrees celsius.
I want a step-by-step solution.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can anyone help me for this Thermal energy question?
 
AlanxD said:
I want a step-by-step solution.

You haven't really shown much work. Either way, no one is going to give you a complete solution here. We'll help YOU do YOUR homework, not do it for you.

With that said, I'll try to HELP you. HINT:I think your going to need to know how much snow the metro melt melts in an hour. Do you know this, or can you find it?
 
G01 said:
You haven't really shown much work. Either way, no one is going to give you a complete solution here. We'll help YOU do YOUR homework, not do it for you.

With that said, I'll try to HELP you. HINT:I think your going to need to know how much snow the metro melt melts in an hour. Do you know this, or can you find it?

"The Metromelt is capable of melting 150,000 kg of snow in one hour."
 
OK, cool! Now using that information can you find how much heat you need to melt that snow in 1 hour? HINT: What will [tex]\Delta T_{snow}[/tex] be?
 
Isn't it Tf-Ti? Which is Tf=4 degrees celsius and Ti=-4 degrees celsius but isn't boiling point included at 0 degrees celsius?
 
Yes [tex]\Delta T = T_f-T_i[/tex]

Now find the heat energy it takes to heat up the ice, and the latent heat here, add them up, and that should be your answer!

Good luck!
 
Ya tks. I found the answer of 5.4X10 to the power of 10.