How much heat in joules is needed to raise the temperature

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
comoore
Messages
3
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement


How much heat in joules is needed to raise the temperature of 7.0 L of water from 0°C to 78.0°C? (Hint: Recall the original definition of the liter.)

Homework Equations


How much heat in joules is needed to raise the temperature of 7.5 L of water from 0°C to 87.0°C? (Hint: Recall the original definition of the liter.)
2.73e+06 J

The Attempt at a Solution


I answered 2.28^06 J.
I have actually already asked this question on another forum, and they couldn't figure it out either. Please help.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I think so...

I did 7000 gm x 78 C=546000 calories
546000x4.184j/calorie=2284.5 kj
Then converted kj to j
 
OH. MY. GOSH. I didn't put the 10 in when I answered. The answer is correct. 2.28x10^6 J.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Greg Bernhardt
comoore said:
7.0 L of water
comoore said:
7.5 L of water
Better turn off the tap.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Chestermiller and Bystander