How Much Heat Escapes Through a Concrete Floor in an Hour?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
14 replies · 4K views
name_ask17
Messages
146
Reaction score
0
Question: How much heat is lost in one hour through a 15 cm x 3.7m x 6.1m concrete floor if the inside temperature is 22 degrees c and the ground temperature is 13 degrees c?

some info:
thermal conductivity of concrete=1.1
change in temperature=8

Relative Equations:
kAchangeT/L

Attempt at problem:
1.1(.15x3.7)(22-13)/6.1
this is not giving me the right answer. the answer should be 5.363E6J
can someone explain to me what I am doing wrong.
thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The change in temperature is 8 degrees celsius?

k = thermal conductivity
A = area
T = change in temerature
L = thickness of the surface

Is it more likely the concrete floor is 0.15mx3.7m with a thickness 6.1m or is it 3.7mx6.1m with a thickness of 0.15m?

You've got the values in the wrong place.
 
yes i tries rearranging the numbers several different ways but i still can't get the correct answer
 
name_ask17 said:
yes i tries rearranging the numbers several different ways but i still can't get the correct answer

22-13 isn't 8 for a start...

The equation only gives you the heat flow per second. You now need to convert it into heat flow per hour.
 
I suppose the answer should be
1.1(6.1x3.7)(22-13)/0.15*3600 but this is equal to 4,767E6
 
yes but even with that, io am getting the answer to br 3242.65 (still not correct)
 
facenian said:
I suppose the answer should be
1.1(6.1x3.7)(22-13)/0.15*3600 but this is equal to 4,7676

I've worked it out and I get the exact answer specified by the OP.
 
name_ask17 said:
yes but even with that, io am getting the answer to br 3242.65 (still not correct)

The value you get should is per second, multiply by 3600 to get the value per hour.

3242.65 is incorrect.
 
k = 1.1
A = (3.7 x 6.1)
T = 9
L = 0.15

kAT/L = 1.1(3.7x6.1)9 / 0.15 = 223.443 / 0.15 = 1489.62

1489.62 x 3600 = ?
 
Last edited:
am i using the correct equation? could that be the problem?
 
name_ask17 said:
am i using the correct equation? could that be the problem?

I've given the actual answer above.

I don't know what facenian did.

You need: Q/t = kAT/L

Where Q/t = heat loss per unit time.

When you solve the second part you get heat loss (Q) per second (t).

So you simply convert this to an hour.
 
jarednjames said:
I've worked it out and I get the exact answer specified by the OP.

you are right I used 22-13=8!