Calculate Heat Loss from Pipes: Tips & Example Calculation

In summary, the author attempted to do some rough calculations of heat loss from a pipe with circulating water, but found that the results were very different from what was found in simulations. He is confused as to why this is the case. He plans to return later with new calculations that take into account the heat transfer from the pipe outer wall to the air.
M1gu3l
Hi,

I wanted to do some rough "back of the envelope"-calculations of heat losses from pipes, with water circulating in them, to compare to the results of various programs' simulations.
I was not very successful as I was perhaps hoping to get rough estimates in the range 20-200% off, but right now I'm in the magnitude of 1000s times off from the simulations.

I'm not entirely sure of if I simply don't know what I'm doing and I have the completely wrong approach, or if there is something I fail to see along the way.

As a rough example a 15 mm pipe with an inner diameter of 13 mms:

https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/conductive-heat-loss-cylinder-pipe-d_1487.html
Conductive heat loss through the wall of a cylinder or pipe can be expressed as

Q = 2 π L (ti - to) / [ln(ro / ri) / k]

I'm calculating the heat loss as W/m so I have:

Q = 2 π * k * (T_inside - T_outside) / ln(ro / ri)

The thermal conductivity of copper ~ 400 W/mK ( https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/thermal-conductivity-d_429.html)

dT = 22 degrees Celsius
ro = 7.5 mm
ri = 6.5 mm

Q = (2 π * 400 W/(m K) * 22 C) / ln(7.5 mm / 6.5 mm)
= 386 385 W/m

To get an idea of the magnitude I look at the following data to get an approximation. These are close to the various simulations I've seen, even if there are some larger differences at times.
As an example the value estimated for 1/2" pipe with the same temperature difference is 26 W/m
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/copper-pipe-heat-loss-d_19.html

So I'm not even close and I'm stuck and don't know what the approach I should take.

My questions therefore are:
-What am I doing wrong and how should I do this the right way?
-If I'm not directly doing anything wrong then how should I interpret these results?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Where does the heat go when it leaves the pipes? What's that mechanism called? Did you do any calculations on that...?

russ_watters said:
Welcome to PF!

Where does the heat go when it leaves the pipes? What's that mechanism called? Did you do any calculations on that...?

(Thank you! Been checking out the forum for years, but the questions are mounting so I decided to join =D )

Sorry, now I didn't fully understand, but what I attempted to do was a sort of general estimation of the values I could expect by making a simple assumption of just conduction and steady-state. (An example attached)
That example is quite a lot from the ones in my old schoolbooks, but the issue is now that it seems like this leads to some very, very different values to what would be seen in reality. Therefore I'm a bit confused.

Attachments

• Example for forum.png
    Example for forum.png
    24.5 KB · Views: 842
The convective resistance is going to be a lot higher than the conductive resistance. So with the convective resistance included, the estimated heat transfer rate is going to be much lower than with pure conduction. See some heat transfer texts for some typical values of the convective heat transfer coefficient for natural convection from a pipe.

Likes M1gu3l, jrmichler and russ_watters
M1gu3l said:
What am I doing wrong and how should I do this the right way?

To expand on what @Chestermiller said, the right way is to calculate three heat transfer coefficients:
1) The film coefficient from the fluid inside the pipe to the pipe inside wall.
2) The conductive resistance of the pipe itself.
3) The film coefficient from the outside wall of the pipe to atmosphere.

Then add them up to get the total heat flow resistance, then bring in the temperature difference to get heat flow. Normally the heat flow resistance of copper pipe is so low that it can be neglected.

Likes M1gu3l and Chestermiller
M1gu3l said:
Q = (2 π * 400 W/(m K) * 22 C) / ln(7.5 mm / 6.5 mm)
= 386 385 W/m

To get an idea of the magnitude I look at the following data to get an approximation. These are close to the various simulations I've seen, even if there are some larger differences at times.
As an example the value estimated for 1/2" pipe with the same temperature difference is 26 W/m
https://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/copper-pipe-heat-loss-d_19.html
The linked page shows the heat loss to free air.

Your calculation shows heat loss thru the pipe wall ONLY; as if the the pipe was embedded in an infinite heat sink of zero thermal resistance. You must take into account the heat transfer from the pipe outer wall to the air, once you do that you will find the pipe outer wall is very nearly the same temperature as its inner wall.

Cheers,
Tom

Likes M1gu3l
Thanks guys. Now I think I grasp it.

I'll return later on with my new calculations. :)

1. How do you calculate heat loss from pipes?

To calculate heat loss from pipes, you need to know the following variables:

• Diameter of the pipe
  • Length of the pipe
  • Temperature difference between the pipe and the surrounding environment
  • Thermal conductivity of the pipe material
  • Heat transfer coefficient of the surrounding environment
Once you have these variables, you can use the following formula to calculate heat loss: Q = (2πDL)(T1 - T2)/(1/k + 1/h), where Q is the heat loss, D is the pipe diameter, L is the pipe length, T1 is the temperature of the pipe, T2 is the temperature of the surrounding environment, k is the thermal conductivity, and h is the heat transfer coefficient.

2. What is the significance of calculating heat loss from pipes?

Calculating heat loss from pipes is important for several reasons:

• It helps in determining the energy efficiency of a heating system.
  • It allows for proper sizing of heating systems to meet required heat demands.
  • It helps in identifying potential areas for heat loss and implementing insulation measures to reduce energy consumption and costs.
  • It can also help in predicting the temperature of the pipe and preventing potential damage.

3. Can the heat loss from pipes be reduced?

Yes, the heat loss from pipes can be reduced by implementing insulation measures. Insulation helps in reducing heat transfer from the pipe to the surrounding environment, thus reducing heat loss. The amount of heat loss can also be reduced by selecting pipes with lower thermal conductivity and increasing the heat transfer coefficient of the surrounding environment.

4. What are some common sources of heat loss from pipes?

The most common sources of heat loss from pipes are:

• Convection: Heat loss through convection occurs when the pipe is exposed to a fluid or gas with a different temperature, causing heat transfer from the pipe to the surrounding environment.
  • Conduction: Heat loss through conduction occurs when the pipe is in contact with a material with a different temperature, resulting in heat transfer between the two materials.
  • Radiation: Heat loss through radiation occurs when the pipe emits thermal radiation, which is absorbed by the surrounding environment.
Other factors such as pipe material and insulation also contribute to heat loss.

5. Are there any online calculators available for calculating heat loss from pipes?

Yes, there are several online calculators available for calculating heat loss from pipes. These calculators require you to input the necessary variables and will provide you with the heat loss value. However, it is important to note that these calculators may not be accurate for all situations, and manual calculations may be required for more complex systems.