Work and heat in water vaporization at atmospheric pressure

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
notsam
Messages
50
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement

2.9 cm3 of water is boiled at atmospheric
pressure to become 5271.2 cm3 of steam, also
at atmospheric pressure.
Calculate the work done by the gas during
this process. The latent heat of vaporization
of water is 2.26 × 106 J/kg .
Answer in units of J.
(part 2) Find the amount of heat added to the water
to accomplish this process.
Answer in units of J.



Homework Equations

W= pV, Q=mLv




The Attempt at a Solution

Ok SO the awnser to the first part is 533.81 J. What I don't understand is the second part. The equation that I think I use is Q=mass * Lv...but I don't know my mass...
 
Physics news on Phys.org