1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much is enough?

1. Oct 16, 2011 #1
    When I study mathematics, I just do it leisurely and at my own pace. Over the course of my whole mathematics education, I've enjoyed learning the abstract ideas/concept in it, the problem is I'm a bit clumsy doing calculations. I can study and do proofs/concepts but practicing problem sets eats my focus big time and I get tired doing it. Now, I can enjoy reading and learning as much math as I want but I really need to brush up with my calculation/problem solving skills, as I'd rather have good grades in college (I tend to solve really slow) at the same time. The question is just how much practice is enough?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 16, 2011 #2
    Depends on the level you are trying to get to IMO.

The average exams I've had thus far indicate that you should be able to solve at least 10-12 more DIFFICULT problems (many steps) in the 3 hours provided. However, I would say you should be able to solve the 10-12 in 2 hours and have an hour for review--IMO, of course.

4. Oct 16, 2011 #3
    10-12 difficult problems in 2 hours might still be a little hard to pull of, considering that 'difficult' is something within the reach of my mathematical knowledge. That is to say I just have to know when to throw in those knowledge for the given problems. I guess I just have to do as much as I can.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook