Math Problem Solving: How Much Is Enough?

• Thread starter mathsciguy
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker enjoys studying abstract concepts in mathematics but struggles with calculations. They recognize the importance of practicing problem-solving skills for good grades in college and question how much practice is enough. It is suggested that one should be able to solve 10-12 difficult problems in 2 hours and leave an hour for review. However, this may still be challenging depending on the individual's level of mathematical knowledge.
mathsciguy
When I study mathematics, I just do it leisurely and at my own pace. Over the course of my whole mathematics education, I've enjoyed learning the abstract ideas/concept in it, the problem is I'm a bit clumsy doing calculations. I can study and do proofs/concepts but practicing problem sets eats my focus big time and I get tired doing it. Now, I can enjoy reading and learning as much math as I want but I really need to brush up with my calculation/problem solving skills, as I'd rather have good grades in college (I tend to solve really slow) at the same time. The question is just how much practice is enough?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the level you are trying to get to IMO.

The average exams I've had thus far indicate that you should be able to solve at least 10-12 more DIFFICULT problems (many steps) in the 3 hours provided. However, I would say you should be able to solve the 10-12 in 2 hours and have an hour for review--IMO, of course.

10-12 difficult problems in 2 hours might still be a little hard to pull of, considering that 'difficult' is something within the reach of my mathematical knowledge. That is to say I just have to know when to throw in those knowledge for the given problems. I guess I just have to do as much as I can.

FAQ: Math Problem Solving: How Much Is Enough?

What is the importance of math problem solving?

Math problem solving is an essential skill in both academic and real-world settings. It allows individuals to analyze and understand complex situations, make informed decisions, and find efficient solutions to various problems.

What are the key steps in solving a math problem?

The key steps in solving a math problem include understanding the problem, identifying the relevant information, formulating a plan, executing the plan, and evaluating the solution. It is essential to follow these steps systematically to arrive at the correct answer.

How can I improve my math problem solving skills?

Some ways to improve math problem solving skills include practicing regularly, breaking down complex problems into smaller parts, seeking help when needed, and using different problem-solving strategies. It is also helpful to reflect on your problem-solving process and identify areas for improvement.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving math problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid when solving math problems include misreading the problem, using incorrect formulas or operations, and not checking the answer for accuracy. It is important to read the problem carefully, use the correct methods, and double-check the solution to avoid making errors.

How do I know if I have solved a math problem correctly?

To know if you have solved a math problem correctly, you can check your answer by plugging it back into the original problem or using a different method to solve the problem. You can also compare your solution with the answer key or ask a teacher or peer to review your work.

Back