Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much it useful to learn two compiler?

1. Sep 15, 2010 #1
    hello

As I am doing c programming course in this semester, our course instructor told today that we will use turbo C in theory class and visual c in lab to compile our written programmes.Now the question that arose in my mind, is it useful to learn to work with two compilers?In which way can I be benefited from learning two compilers?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2010 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you have two tools you know how to use, then you can use the one better for any particular job. :wink:

Also, it will help you avoid falling into the trap of relying on compiler-specific features, and then being totally lost if you ever have to write something portable, or if you're stuck using a different compiler.

That said, isn't Turbo C rather antiquated? I'd be afraid you'd be learning bad habits or even an incorrect version of the language -- especially if you were writing C++. Modern C++ is practically an entire different language than it was 20 years ago.

4. Sep 15, 2010 #3
    Turbo C++??? Blast from the past, that is for sure. Though I just threw out my copies of old compilers this year. ( my wife finally put her foot down ). I had 3 versions of Borland compilers, 5 Versions of Microsoft, including QuickC. The 2 versions of Zortech C++ I kept.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook