How Much Kinetic Energy Do Electrons Need to Resolve a 10fm Nucleus?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
blade_090
Messages
13
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


To "obeserve" small objects,one measures the diffraction of the particles whose de Broglie wavelength is approximately equal to the object's size.
Find the kinetic energy(in electron volts) required by the electrons to resolve
c) a nucleus of size 10fm.


Homework Equations


I use the de broglie equation
~ = wavelenth
~= h/(2MeEk)^1/2
the ans i found is 1.50x10^10 eV
and energy-momentum conservation
E2=p2c2+Me2c4
but I can't find the correct answer for it
the ans i found is 124MeV

the real ans given is 1240Mev
is there any way to find it??
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I get the same answer you do.
 
does tat mean something wrong with the ans given??
or i should use relativistic formula since the kinetic energy of electron is larger thn rest energy of electron?