De Broglie wavelength, kinetic energy

In summary, the problem asks to find the kinetic energy of an electron with different de Broglie wavelengths, one being a typical atomic size and the other being a typical nuclear size. The solutions for both parts are provided, but there is confusion about the answer for part (b) and whether or not relativistic effects need to be taken into account.
ajmCane22

Homework Statement

(a) Find the kinetic energy of an electron whose de Broglie wavelength is equal to 0.63 Å, a typical atomic size.

Ke = 379 eV

(b) Repeat part (a) for an electron with a wavelength equal to 1.7 x 10-15 m, a typical nuclear size.

Ke = _____eV

Homework Equations

Ke = h2 / λ2(2m)

The Attempt at a Solution

I got part (a), but for part be I calculated Ke = 5.217e11 which is "significantly different" from the correct answer. I tried getting help from Cramster and they provided me with the same answer. What am I doing wrong? Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Check the velocity that you calculate. How does it compare to c?

I don't understand. I'm not calculating velocity? I'm calculating kinetic energy in Joules and converting it to eV. Where do c and v come in?

ajmCane22 said:
I don't understand. I'm not calculating velocity? I'm calculating kinetic energy in Joules and converting it to eV. Where do c and v come in?

When the energies get high enough the velocities will approach the speed of light. Then you need to take Relativistic effects into account. Check the velocity implied by the KE using Newtonian methods. If it's more than about 2/3 of c (or *gasp* greater than c!) you should be using the Relativistic formulas instead.

The difference in your answer for part (b) is most likely due to rounding errors. When dealing with very small numbers, it is important to use all significant figures in calculations to avoid such errors.

In part (b), the de Broglie wavelength is given in meters, so it is important to convert it to Ångstroms (Å) before plugging it into the equation. The correct answer for part (b) is Ke = 1.31 x 10-11 eV.

Also, when dealing with atomic and nuclear sizes, it is important to use the appropriate values for the mass of the electron (m) in the equation. For atomic sizes, the mass of the electron in the formula should be the rest mass (m0), while for nuclear sizes, it should be the relativistic mass (m0γ), where γ is the Lorentz factor. This is because the electron's velocity in a nuclear size is close to the speed of light, and its relativistic mass should be taken into account.

In summary, the correct way to solve part (b) would be:

1. Convert the given de Broglie wavelength from meters to Ångstroms. This can be done by multiplying by 10^10.

2. Use the appropriate mass of the electron for nuclear sizes, which is m0γ. The value for γ can be found using the formula γ = 1 / √(1 - (v/c)^2), where v is the velocity of the electron and c is the speed of light. In this case, since the electron's velocity is close to the speed of light, we can use the approximation γ ≈ 1.

3. Plug the values into the formula Ke = h2 / λ2(2m) and solve for Ke. You should get the correct answer of Ke = 1.31 x 10-11 eV.

I hope this helps! Remember to always pay attention to significant figures and use the appropriate values for mass in calculations involving atomic and nuclear sizes.

What is the De Broglie wavelength?

The De Broglie wavelength is a concept in quantum mechanics that describes the wave-like behavior of particles. It is named after French physicist Louis de Broglie, who proposed that all particles, including matter, have a wavelength associated with their motion. This wavelength is inversely proportional to the particle's momentum.

How is the De Broglie wavelength calculated?

The De Broglie wavelength can be calculated using the formula λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, h is Planck's constant, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity. This formula is based on the principle of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behavior.

What is the relationship between De Broglie wavelength and kinetic energy?

The De Broglie wavelength is inversely proportional to the kinetic energy of a particle. This means that as the kinetic energy increases, the wavelength decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula λ = h/√2mK, where K is the kinetic energy of the particle.

What are the applications of De Broglie wavelength in real-life?

The De Broglie wavelength has many applications in modern technology, such as electron microscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and particle accelerators. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics and has led to significant advancements in fields such as solid-state physics, atomic and molecular physics, and nuclear physics.

Can the De Broglie wavelength be observed experimentally?

Yes, the De Broglie wavelength has been observed experimentally in many different experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, which demonstrated the wave-like behavior of particles. It has also been observed in various technologies that utilize the principles of quantum mechanics, as mentioned earlier. Overall, the De Broglie wavelength is a well-established concept that has been confirmed through numerous experiments and observations.