1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Relativistic Calculations for De-Broglie Wavelength

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At what energy will a non-relativistic calculation of the De Broglie wavelength of an electron be in error by 5%? What is this energy for a proton? Comment on your results.

2. Relevant equations
    I have two (seemed to be) logical answers for this question, but with different values

how to resolve this, there must be at least one wrong answer

i need a resolution

3. The attempt at a solution
    Solution 1
    Untitled.png
    Solution 2
    Untitled2.png

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The second approach has the right relativistic de-Broglie wavelength. It depends on the momentum, not on "the energy above the rest energy plugged into the nonrelativistic expression".

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3
    As far as i understand, there is nothing in the first approach states that the De-Broglie wavelength depend in anything but the momentum
    in the first approach i replaced the momentum by the kinetic energy, and this is a valid replacement

please explain your point

5. Nov 13, 2015 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

You replaced momentum by the kinetic energy in nonrelativistic mechanics. It won't give the right result for relativistic speeds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted