How much kinetic energy take the particles after the collision?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
skrat
Messages
740
Reaction score
8

Homework Statement


What is the minimum amount of kinetic energy of proton that hits another still proton so reaction ##p+p\rightarrow p+n+\pi ^+## is possible? How big part of the initial kinetic energy is used for kinetic energy of new particles?

Homework Equations


The Attempt at a Solution



##T_{min}=292MeV##

am... I don't really understand the second question? I calculated the minimum kinetic energy with presumption that ##p+n+\pi ^+## will have no kinetic energy after the collision of protons... So... what exactly answers the second part of this problem? O.o
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Also, consider the difference between how the collision looks in the COM frame vs. the lab frame. I assume the last question is being asked about the lab frame.