1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How much liquid water can be produced through condensation in one day

1. Jan 27, 2012 #1
    I am working on a desalinization project and need technical advice. These are the basics:

If I have a 1,000 sq ft pool of heated water, covered with a chilled baffle, then enclosed in a greenhouse, how much liquid water can I produce through condensation in one day?

Any ideas or feedback would be helpful.

Thanks,

Rick Mannoia

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 27, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

There isn't enough information. Whats the average temperature of the water and the baffles?

4. Jan 27, 2012 #3
    Water will run through black pipe and solar heated.
    Baffels would be cooled with running water.
    This entire unit would be encased in a green house.
    I am looking for an IDEA of the amount of liquid possible. Any input or questions would be helpful.
    Thanks,
    Rick Mannoia

5. Jan 27, 2012 #4
    only order of magnitude numbers but: If the energy available is solar energy then you have about 1kW/m^2 (depends where you live)
    1000 sqft is about 100sqmetres so about 100kW of available energy.
    The latent heat of vaporisation for water is 2.3 x 10^6J/kg and so with 100kW of available energy water would evaporate at a rate of 100kW/2.3x10^6 kg/sec
    ie about 0.04kg/sec that is 40 grams per second.which is about 144kg per hour
    Obviously your available power will have an impact on this calculation but I hope it helps.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2012
  6. Jan 27, 2012 #5
    The water would be heated from black pipe, similar to solar water heater for a swimming pool, and the metal baffle would have running chilled water continuing to keep it cool. The entire unit, 10 x 100 feet would be in a compact green house maximizing humidity.

Wouldn’t the fact that the baffle is cooled accelerate condensation?

If this unit were in a very hot environment; Africa, India, how many gallon per day could it produce?

Rick

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook