How much more energy does it take to melt circular glass that is half the size?

In summary, it would take the same amount of energy to melt the same weight of material, but if the glass is not as thick, it will melt faster.
rdolin
I would like to figure out if I take a circular piece of glass that is about 1/8 inch in diameter and crush it to 1/16 of an inch in diameter will I be able to use less energy to melt the same weight of material?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, the energy required is the same. But since most of the energy of the flame is blown into the air that doesn't really matter. So you might melt the glas faster if it is not as thick. In a well insulated furnace for example the thickness should not really matter.

I would go one step further and say that it may require more energy to melt, depending on what you mean by crush.

If your glass has a volume and you compress it to a smaller volume, then the glass transition and melting temperature will actually increase. Conceptually, you can just think of how liquid glass has a larger volume than solid glass.
If then you compressed more, you would need a higher temperature to melt.

Another way to look at is is that glass flows when the molecules making it up can move freely past each other. By compressing the glass, you are actually limiting the ability of the molecules to move. Thus sufficient compression will keep it glass when it might normally melt.

This can become pretty important with glassy polymers. I've included an example for polyethylene. You can see that under higher pressures the glass transition temperature (the point where the volume starts increasing rapidly) increases. The melting point (the next time the graph slope changes) is also increased.If instead of compress, you simply meant reform it into a new shape, then DEADBEEF is correct. It will melt faster (heat does not conduct through glass well, so a larger surface area will absorb heat much more rapidly) but the total energy required under ideal circumstances remains the same.

Attachments

• glasstemp.png
    glasstemp.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 417
Last edited:
To deadbeef response:would the melting time of the glass be considered critical. I believe if there is an increase in residence time I would be able to use less energy. Let me know if this assumption is correct and if there is a way to calculate the savings. The typical residence time in the furnace is 24 hours.

To jagedlion response: The glass would not be compressed, it would be simply shatered or broken into smaller pieces with the same density.

Thank you for your response

Last edited:

I can provide some insight on the energy required to melt glass and how it may be affected by changes in size. The amount of energy required to melt a material is dependent on its specific heat capacity and its melting point. Glass has a relatively high specific heat capacity, meaning it requires a significant amount of energy to increase its temperature. Its melting point also varies depending on the type of glass, but it typically ranges from 1400-1600 degrees Celsius.

In terms of size, the amount of energy required to melt a piece of glass is directly proportional to its volume. This means that a piece of glass that is half the size will require approximately half the amount of energy to melt. However, this is assuming that the shape and thickness of the glass remain the same. Crushing a piece of glass to a smaller diameter will decrease its volume and therefore require less energy to melt.

However, it is important to note that crushing glass may also change its thickness and shape, which can affect the amount of energy required to melt it. A thinner piece of glass may have a lower specific heat capacity and therefore require less energy to melt, but it may also cool down faster and require additional energy to maintain its molten state.

In conclusion, crushing a circular piece of glass to half its size may result in using less energy to melt the same weight of material. However, the exact amount of energy required will depend on various factors such as the specific type of glass, the shape and thickness of the crushed piece, and the heating method used. Further experimentation and analysis would be needed to determine the exact energy savings in this scenario.

1. How does the size of the circular glass affect the amount of energy needed to melt it?

The size of the circular glass plays a significant role in the amount of energy needed to melt it. As the size decreases, the energy required to melt it also decreases. This is because smaller objects have a smaller surface area and less volume, making it easier for heat to penetrate and melt the glass.

2. Is there a specific formula to calculate the energy needed to melt circular glass of different sizes?

Yes, there is a specific formula to calculate the energy needed to melt circular glass. It is known as the Specific Heat formula and it takes into account the mass, specific heat capacity, and change in temperature of the glass to determine the amount of energy needed.

3. Does the type of glass affect the amount of energy needed to melt it?

Yes, the type of glass can greatly affect the amount of energy needed to melt it. Different types of glass have different compositions and specific heat capacities, which can impact the amount of energy required to raise its temperature to the melting point.

4. How does the melting process of circular glass compare to other shapes?

The melting process of circular glass is similar to that of other shapes. The main difference lies in the surface area and volume of the glass, which can affect the rate at which it melts. For example, a flat sheet of glass will have a larger surface area and will therefore melt faster than a sphere of the same volume.

5. Is there a limit to how small a circular glass can be before it requires significantly less energy to melt?

Yes, there is a limit to how small a circular glass can be before it requires significantly less energy to melt. This limit is known as the critical size, and it varies depending on the type of glass. When the size of the glass is below the critical size, the energy required to melt it decreases significantly due to the change in its physical properties.