How much Physics should a Mathematician know?

In summary, for pure mathematics, it is not necessary to have knowledge of physics. However, for those seeking applications or pursuing certain research areas, some understanding of physics can be beneficial. Physics and pure math have different approaches and focuses, but there is a continuum between the two fields and some ideas from physics have influenced pure math. Knowledge of physics can also provide motivation and intuition for certain mathematical concepts. Ultimately, the amount of physics a mathematician should know depends on their individual interests and research goals.
deluks917
One often hears the reverse question but in your opinion how much physics should a mathematician know. Some more specific questions:

a) how much physics should you know when you start grad school (in pure math)

b) how much physics by the time you graduate math grad school

Physics news on Phys.org
As much as he wants to.
Depends where in math he wants to go. Most of the mathematicians I've worked with have insisted that I don't tell them the physics as it just distracts them from the math. I can appreciate that because I don't want an answer in terms of lamas and corraleries ... or... whatever those things are called...

If you are going to do a lot of mathematical modelling, then some physics experience is an advantage. So ... you questions:

a) by grad school, I'd hope that the course that got you there included all the physics you need for the field you will enter already.

b) as much as you needed to graduate

These courses are usually well worked out by that level.

deluks917 said:
One often hears the reverse question but in your opinion how much physics should a mathematician know. Some more specific questions:

a) how much physics should you know when you start grad school (in pure math)

b) how much physics by the time you graduate math grad school

For pure math, I don't think anyone should know any physics. As a motivation for those seeking some application, then maybe applications of differential geometry to relativity and functional analysis to QM, but by no means should that be required in any pure graduate program.

Physics and pure math are completely different things: they both have different ways of thinking, they both focus on completely different things, and they have are put in completely different contexts.

For pure math, I don't think anyone should know any physics. As a motivation for those seeking some application, then maybe applications of differential geometry to relativity and functional analysis to QM, but by no means should that be required in any pure graduate program.

Physics and pure math are completely different things: they both have different ways of thinking, they both focus on completely different things, and they have are put in completely different contexts.

I strongly disagree, although I would not go as far as V. I. Arnold to say physics is the branch of mathematics where the experiments are cheap. However, there's a whole continuum between physics and math. There isn't even a sharp division between the two fields. There are a few people in physics departments who do things essentially indistinguishable from people in math departments. So, you have mathematical physicists, more on the physics side, mathematical physicists who treat it as pure math, and everything in between.

Physics is very helpful to know. I don't know if it's essential. Depends on what you want to do. Some very educated people say you really can't understand physics without math and vice versa. I don't know how true that is.

As someone who knows a fair amount of physics, I think it does help a little with the math. So much math has its roots in physics. I think functional analysis is more meaningful to me because I know some physics. It gives me a reason to CARE about because physics is closer to reality than pure math.

In my opinion, PDE is an extremely ugly subject if it is not approached with some physical reasoning. The key examples are the wave equation, the heat equation, and the Laplace or Poisson equation.

Depends where in math he wants to go. Most of the mathematicians I've worked with have insisted that I don't tell them the physics as it just distracts them from the math.

Not at all true for me. Physics makes me care about things more and brings in more intuition and motivation. But people don't focus enough on the aesthetics of things and intuition, and that could be why they can't see the value of it.

But it goes further than motivation. Ideas from physics have had a strong influence on topology and certain other branches of pure math. Donalson and Seiberg-Witten invariants of 4-manifolds, topological quantum field theory, Chern-simons, mirror symmetry...

The fact that I know some quantum mechanics and classical mechanics is quite relevant to my future research plans, although up until now, the role of physics has been mostly to provide motivation for many concepts. Of course, maybe learning physics has slowed me down, but personally, that's not an issue for me because physics is an end in itself, which I pursue for its own sake. I just learn what I am interested into an extent, although I am trying to formulate an appropriate research direction which will make the most advantage out of my knowledge of both fields.

I believe that it is important for mathematicians to have a basic understanding of physics. Physics and mathematics are closely intertwined and both disciplines are essential for understanding and explaining the natural world.

In terms of how much physics a mathematician should know, I believe it depends on their specific field of research and their personal interests. Some mathematicians may need a deeper understanding of physics, while others may only need a basic understanding.

For those starting graduate school in pure mathematics, I believe it is important to have a solid foundation in classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum mechanics. This will provide a good understanding of the fundamental principles of physics and how they relate to mathematical concepts.

By the time a mathematician graduates from grad school, they should have a deeper understanding of physics, particularly in the areas that are relevant to their research. This may include topics such as fluid mechanics, statistical mechanics, or general relativity.

Ultimately, the level of physics knowledge required for a mathematician will vary depending on their specific research interests and goals. However, having a basic understanding of physics can greatly enhance a mathematician's ability to tackle complex problems and make connections between seemingly unrelated concepts.

1. How does Physics relate to Mathematics?

Physics and Mathematics are closely related as they both involve the use of numbers, equations, and logic. In fact, many mathematical concepts are used to explain and solve problems in physics. For example, calculus is used in physics to analyze motion and change, while linear algebra is used to model physical systems.

2. How much overlap is there between Physics and Mathematics?

While there is a significant overlap between the two fields, they also have distinct differences. Physics is the study of the natural world and its phenomena, whereas mathematics is the study of abstract concepts such as numbers, shapes, and patterns. However, both fields require a strong foundation in mathematical concepts and problem-solving skills.

3. What specific areas of Physics should a Mathematician be familiar with?

A mathematician should have a basic understanding of classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. These areas involve the use of mathematical concepts such as calculus, differential equations, and linear algebra. Additionally, knowledge of statistical mechanics and quantum mechanics can also be beneficial for mathematicians.

4. Is it necessary for a Mathematician to have practical knowledge of Physics?

While it is not necessary for a mathematician to have hands-on experience with physics experiments, it is important for them to have a conceptual understanding of how physical systems work. This knowledge can help them develop more accurate mathematical models and solve real-world problems.

5. Can a Mathematician work in the field of Physics?

Yes, mathematicians can work in the field of physics, especially in areas such as mathematical physics and theoretical physics. They can also collaborate with physicists to develop and improve mathematical models for physical systems. However, a mathematician may need to acquire additional knowledge and skills in physics to work in this field effectively.