How Much Power Does a Man Generate Running Up Stairs Compared to a Light Bulb?

In summary, the man weighing 75kg can run up a 4.5 m high flight of stairs in 4 seconds, generating a power of -3310.8. To determine how long a 100w light bulb would have to burn to expend the same amount of energy, divide the work done in 4 seconds by 4 seconds and use the formula power = force * velocity. Remember that work equals energy.
invincible1

Homework Statement

the man having the weight of 75kg is able to run up a 4.5 m high flight of stairs in 4s. determine the power generated. how long would a 100w light bulb have to burn to expend the same amount of energy?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I havnt done these types of questions for a while so I've forgotten, so far I've calculated the work done by weight -75*9.81 (4.50) = -3310.8
can anyone help me solve the rest pleasE?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Power = rate of doing work

yea but i don't know how to do it

How much work is done in 4 seconds?

power=f.v but i don't know how to get the v and f?

As you know how much work was done in 4 secs, then divide by 4 secs and you have power!

Also, don't forget work = energy

Ok thanks

Related to How Much Power Does a Man Generate Running Up Stairs Compared to a Light Bulb?

1. What is work?

Work is a measure of the energy transferred to an object by the application of a force. It is the product of the force applied and the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance over which the force is applied. The unit of work is joule (J) in the SI system.

3. What is the unit of energy?

The unit of energy is joule (J) in the SI system. Other common units of energy include calorie (cal) and kilowatt-hour (kWh).

4. What is the difference between kinetic and potential energy?

Kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion, while potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition.

5. How is energy conserved in a system?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed. Therefore, the total energy in a closed system remains constant.